ReBolting the Mother Lode

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

the lurkist

ReBolting the Mother Lode

Post by the lurkist »

So I hesitated to post this at this time due to the tumult over access and the community reflection on our own behavior self governance, but perhaps it is this very reflection that makes this an ideal time for the community to demonstrate that we can over see our own governance and, in this case, infrastructure upkeep, so to that end...

There is a serious and concerted effort afoot to finally commence with a very big up grade to our beloved Motherlode.
Dustin Stephens, myself, and several others who have either expressed interest or haven't yet but will (they just don't know it yet) have undertaken the monumental task of rebolting the Lode with SS glue ins.
The task is to re equip the Lode with the forever bolt so that for the rest of our lives we can rest easy knowing the Lode bolts are not an exercise in planned obsolescence (as it is currently). As it stands now, most of the bolts at the Lode were placed approximately fifteen years ago (most close to and after 1993). As most of us know these five piece mechanical zinc plated bolts, while good and have performed well, do have a finite life. Best estimates that I have found are twenty years (coming from the Anchor Replacement Initiative guys). I think it is difficult to know the life span of these bolts in that they weren't designed for this application and the manufacturers don't give specs for lifespan in soft sandstone exposed to weather with 1000's of falls on them.
Basically, the best we can do as developers is try to shoot for over kill in the engineering of the bolts we use and hope that we have eliminated as much as humanly possible the probability of gear failure.
The far end of this spectrum of over engineering are SS glue in bolts. We propose to likely use the Heacocis Wave bolt, possibly the Titt twisted rod bolt, with a slight chance of using the Fixe bolt with the Hilti epoxy system. Rick Weber has been instrumental in refining this application with many iterations of these routes bolted at MV (thanks also to Kipp and others), but also through his testing of these.
These bolts glued in have withstood 8000 pounds of tension pull out force before the bolt deformed and the dynanometer maxed out and the quick link failed. Needless to say this is way above the working load of a bolt needed for climbing.

So this is the job, this is why, and this is how. How many is a good question. We count by the guide 530 bolts including anchors would need replacing. The price tag is around $3-4 K. Bolts will be around 5 bucks per, a tube of glue should replace 2, perhaps 3 routes and a tube is $30 with 60 routes at the Lode.
So $2500 for bolts and $900 for glue, and a few hundred more for nozzles and then the hundreds more I haven't accounted for because I am a doctor and not a project manager and have no idea what I am getting into- so I reckon $4000.

Reality is a good deal of this will be picked up by individuals. But in the interest of community spirit we have asked Blake and Team Suck to create a Paypal button on TeamSuck.com and we are soliciting donations toward this end. We could easily overshoot with collections and when this happens we will shut down the paypal button. Any extra donations will be first offered to Jeff Neal to cover his costs for his martyrdom-level work at rebolting Funk Rock (dude goes straight to Nirvana with 20 virgins and all the clean well lighted head walls he can bolt). Another option for any extra collected funds will be possibly put toward permadraws for the lode, and yet another option would be to give it to the RRGCC, of course. As Dr. Bob says, this entire community driven existence of the climbing venue we all enjoy should be an exercise in enlightened self interest.
So, there it is. You can expect over the next few years the majority of the routes at the Lode to get rebolted.
Anyone interested in helping do the actual rebolting step up and make yourselves known. No reasonable offer will be refused. Glue ins are a bit tricky and messy, but with some practice I trust a degree of efficiency will be attained. Maybe with enough strong backs and sharp bits we can get this knocked out fairly quickly.
Thanks
the Lurkist
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
THB

Re: ReBolting the Mother Lode

Post by THB »

count me in... i'll help out financially too, but since i'm a poor school teacher i'll probably only be able to afford a few hundred at most...
agdenm2

Post by agdenm2 »

You mean the fayette county school system doesn't factor in things like this in their employee's salaries?
THB

Post by THB »

correct, denmark... they don't... it's a shame, i know!
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

The link is not up yet at http://www.teamsuckclimbing.com, but you can still make a donation there and add the note "Motherlode fund" or something like that to the transaction. Thanks y'all!
Last edited by dustonian on Fri May 27, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caribe

Post by caribe »

let's gitter done
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Jeff Neal has set a high standard with the FRC rebolt that we hope will become the precedent for all future rebolting efforts in the Red: all SS glue-in. Do it once, and do it right... at least we won't be hand-drilling!
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

How about adopt a route... one person pays for the glue ins and perma's on a route. We put a tag at the base with their name on it and they get cuts forever on that route :)
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Yeah, I was thinking an adopt-a-route campaign could generate some motivation. Don't know about tags at the base, but... post up here with routes and pledges. Check the guidebook bolt count and factor in about $6.50/bolt including everything (bit, glue, bolt, nozzle, etc.)... including 2 for the anchor.

Rene Keyzer-Andre has already pledged for 8-Ball (9x$6.50=$58.50), but we can spread the love around if two fellas really wanna "share the love"... on a rig like that, I'm sure they will!
Last edited by dustonian on Fri May 27, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

I don't know why, maybe it is the selfish self-gratification, but I feel like I would have contributed more and felt like my contribution really did something if I "adopted" a route... It personalizes it and makes your donation seem more tangible so to speak. We could add a link to a page that lists the routes, bolt count, cost, and what is pledged for, who pledged it, and what is open...

Oh, and then add a sign at the Lode stating as much to get the word across to all the climbers that frequent the Lode.
Last edited by climb2core on Fri May 27, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.