Hot Springs NC

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
krampus

Hot Springs NC

Post by krampus »

anyone know where to climb near Hot Springs, North Carolina. Thinking about a little thanks giving trip and wondering what was nearby. I know Looking glass and rumbeling bald are about 1.5 hours away but I am hoping for something a little closer
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
bcombs

Re: Hot Springs NC

Post by bcombs »

Not climbing related, but if you are up for some hiking, the section of the AT from Hot Springs up to Lover's Leap and then back into town is a nice loop. IIRC it was around 6 miles, but its been awhile.
krampus

Post by krampus »

That sounds pretty cool, I am sure if we end up there that will be a good time.
Any one know if the "Climbers Guid to North Carolina (Falcon Guides)" is worth the price?
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
tambo2

Post by tambo2 »

The new NC book from Schull is probably the best.
gripster

Post by gripster »

Krampus, I live in Asheville and you will just have to trust me on this one, the very few places to climb other than what you already mentioned suck balls. I would recommend either Rumbling Bald or Looking Glass like you already mentioned, or not at all. FYI, the parking situation at Rumbling Bald has gotten kind of insane lately. If you park anywhere other than in the designated spots (the gravel spots, NOT the grass, NOT on the side of the road) then you will get a ticket. Comes out to about $150 when its all said and done. If you park on the side of Boys Camp Road then you will get towed. So if you do decide to head up there then make sure you get there early. I would say by 10am to be perfectly safe.

As far as the guide book goes I would agree on the Harrrison Schull book. If you don't climb here often then I am pretty sure you could get some free beta from fellow climbers.