Question for the CC

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Clevis Hitch

Question for the CC

Post by Clevis Hitch »

I'm not going to spend alot of time on this. I just want to ask a question. It's the same question that I've had all along.

I've thought how to pose the question so as to not cause a flame war. This is the best I could come up with. Please forgive me if the question wants to make you to scratch your eyes out of your head. Also, try not to bury the question with a bunch of hate/bs. If you can contribute to the dialoge then please do so, if not then please refrain.

Why are the board members not directly elected by climbers?
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
Saxman

Re: Question for the CC

Post by Saxman »

It is my limited experience that they are. Take part in meetings regularly in a civil intelligent manner and be a successful active participant in the operation of the coalition and you will be asked. How many people out there have shown up to several meetings, worked on many projects, have the time and the desire to be a board member, and have not been asked? My guess is that number is zero.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

Thats not an answer... what is that, red herring...straw man? Which one would that be...? anyway, I digress,

Why are the board members not directly elected by climbers?
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
Toad

Post by Toad »

Do you mean the climbing public at large? Because right now, I think climbers are electing climbers.
Victory Whip in da House. Yeah.
RRO

Post by RRO »

first off...im not a bod member, never have been a bod member and more than likely will never be a bod member of the rrgcc. my involvement with them is driven by the fact i like to work and love the area. so my answer cannot officially answer for the bod.

i dont have a lot of time right now but do think this is a legit questions and deserves to be talked about as adults without flame wars.

as saxman said, its not hard to get on the bod. show up to meetings and events, learn how the organization is ran, learn what the challenges are, participate in events/projects that are going on, bring something new to the game and poses skills that are needed at the time. you also have to be able to handle things without knee jerk reactions and look beyond the current and into the future of the area and the organization. you also have to be willing to take the heat even when trying to do good, cause with any change there will be friction.

imo, i like the fact that the bod spots are not community elected. just because someone can win an election does not mean they have something to bring to the organization or are what is needed at the time, it just means they are popular with those that would vote.

people that are involved usually are involved for a few years before they are asked to join as an official bod member. reasons and needs change based on what the problem/projects are going on at the time. sometimes law help is something that is needed, sometimes fund raising skill are needed, sometimes its community involvement skills are needed or we may have a forest service project going on and those skills are needed. the bod understands the needs at the time, especially for concerns that may not be public for whatever reason.

now to say every seat has to be voted in, maybe not and having a "community bod member" is worth talking about. but the majority of seats imo should be appointed and not voted by everyone.

those are my basic thoughts on the subject joe. i will write up more when i have more time.
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
DuppyC

Post by DuppyC »

Clevis, sometimes your posts are so dumb, but, you still entertain me every once in awhile between 8-5.

I will answer your question with a question and hopefully it will be enough to end this post.

Why doesn't everyone that owns a computer elect the BOD at Microsoft?
"No one has to do something he doesn't want to do for the rest of his life. But then again, if that's what you end up doing, by all means convince yourself that you had to do it; you'll have lots of company." HST
pkananen

Post by pkananen »

Probably because most people don't care? No one joins the BOD for selfish reasons, therefore if someone cares enough to be on it, they probably have something good to contribute.
captain static

Post by captain static »

Clevis Hitch wrote:Why are the board members not directly elected by climbers?
This is a straight question that deserves a straight, simple, answer. Here it is - RRGCC Board members are not directly elected by climbers because the original founders of the RRGCC chose to use the "non-membership" model in setting up the organization. This is a common model for small non-profits. The way I like to explain it is that the RRGCC is a company, not a government. When I have time after Rocktoberfest, I can get into the benefits of the "non-membership" model if you like.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

DuppyC wrote:Clevis, sometimes your posts are so dumb, but, you still entertain me every once in awhile between 8-5.

I will answer your question with a question and hopefully it will be enough to end this post.

Why doesn't everyone that owns a computer elect the BOD at Microsoft?
Are you on the board? Are you answering for them? If you can't differentiate between a private corporation and a users group/charity then you are the one thats dumb.

Please refrain from stupidity and try to keep this on track.
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

captain static wrote:
Clevis Hitch wrote:Why are the board members not directly elected by climbers?
This is a straight question that deserves a straight, simple, answer. Here it is - RRGCC Board members are not directly elected by climbers because the original founders of the RRGCC chose to use the "non-membership" model in setting up the organization. This is a common model for small non-profits. The way I like to explain it is that the RRGCC is a company, not a government. When I have time after Rocktoberfest, I can get into the benefits of the "non-membership" model if you like.

It may be common. But its not right. Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the CC set in response to the closures going on in the NF and they were formed as a USERS GROUP to parlay with the NF because the NF doesn't speak with individuals, it speaks to USERS GROUPS.
As a USERS GROUP, for non-elected members to make arbitrary decisions in the CONSTITUANCY's name. That smells. Why can't we have an elected voice that aids in the decision making process. Why does it have to be unelected czars who make secret decisions for us as climbers.

The last time I checked it said Red River Gorge CLIMBERS Coalition. Plural. If you want to make it the Kool Kids Klimbing club, I'm sure you can. Even though the initials are already taken. I'm sure the Arian Nation won't mind too much