Arizona

Innocent subjects that took a turn for the worst.
Boonda

Post by Boonda »

Geez...why do people get so mean and insulting on these things? Of course I read the original, I just took lawful contact to be any interaction with the police, whether called to the scene or other, and I felt it was too broad. I still feel it was too open ended, but hence amendments being put forth.

Anywho...hopefully everyone has a nice day, the insults and anger can filter away and we can just have fun/educational debates.
Wanna have an adventure?
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

clevis, please explain why it is so hard for a spanish speaking person to go thru the legal system to get legal residency here? of course this is a loaded question, as my wife is a legal resident (not a US citizen) and went thru the time consuming system, gets her green crad updates when asked, works and pays into the system...

My guess is that the majority of these seasonal workers have no intentions of staying..they just want to milk the system and take it back home...sooo, this thing works both ways.....apparently the wages (low by our standards) are decent enough by Mexican standards that it is worth the hassle to get here one way or anohter....
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

as a followup, my guess is that the US government wants highly skilled immigrants (tech workers, engineers, healthcare,etc)and not those that will drain the sytem of already stretched resources. I say free/subsidized health care is fine for Americans and legal residents, but NOT illegals..make their own country worry about the problem...it is crazy when our citizens suffer, but some want to protect others equally...crazy talk.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
sendit

Post by sendit »

I'm wondering how the new arizona law is really any different than what already happens in many parts of the country. This article about NYC caught my eye as related http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/13/nyreg ... sk.html?hp
all you haters die slow.
toad857

Post by toad857 »

aww leave 'em alone..they work for peanuts. and they definitely dont go rock climbing and web-forum-posting. in fact, they probably don't significantly alter your life at all. when was the last time you didn't land a job because someone without any papers did a better job at the interview than you? i think there are bigger fish to fry.

by the way, why does nobody bitch about legal immigrants that do the same shit and send their money away?

now, erecting the biggest fence in the world? there's a topic worthy of discussion.
Xtant

Post by Xtant »

Because LEGAL immigrants pay taxes. Because legal immigrants have consequences when they break our laws besides a free trip back home...
Sure is a lot of fun while you're doing it...
toad857

Post by toad857 »

lots of people get paid under the table. 'illegal immigrants' are just an easy group to peg, so people will peg away.

'consequences', huh? filling our jails with illegal immigrants is a consequence for someone alright... it costs like 40k to house an inmate for a year.

and after risking everything to get here, im sure that being ejected is far from a 'free trip' back home.

i still don't think their presence affects your life in a significant way.
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

its a cancer that brings the whole system down...

I've been run out of two different fields because of "cheap Mexican Labor". Agriculture and construction. You can't say it doesn't affect me. I would still like to see the system streamlined.
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
toad857

Post by toad857 »

cancer? kind of dramatic.... bring the whole system down? no.

streamlined? never gonna happen.

if you can't beat em, join em?
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

toad857 wrote:if you can't beat em, join em?
Or try harder at beating them? There is competition in all industries. If you can't do the same job for the same price do a better job for a higher price. Down economy or not, there will always be people who will pay for quality.