Equipment and Rope

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
tsparks

Equipment and Rope

Post by tsparks »

I haven't been out climbing in going on 2 years and all of my equipment has just sat in my garage in my backpack the entire time, should I be concerned about the condition of any of it if I get back out this year?
$DO||!$DO; try
try is not a command
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

i work for a company that tests that stuff. send it to me and ill check it all out and let you know.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
tsparks

Post by tsparks »

are you serious or just messing with me? my inclination is that it's all fine, but i know some people on here have a lot more experience than me.
$DO||!$DO; try
try is not a command
aaronkupferer

Post by aaronkupferer »

wow! such a long time! you really should buy all new gear.... and give me the old gear to recycle (it's the right thing to do for the planet! and i'd be happy to help out).

seriously, it's always a good idea to manually inspect your gear, even if you're climbing regularly. and it will only take a few minutes to find out.
gripster

Post by gripster »

in said garage, do you have any chemicals such as solvents for painting, or acid from a car battery, etc. If you think any of your stuff might have been exposed to something like this, then don't use it.

otherwise the guy at the gear shop tells me that a rope has a shelf life of 5 years even if unused. it seems that a rope would last much longer than that to me, but that is the safe answer. probably applies to slings, harnesses etc. as well. check for bad fraying, sheath picks in the rope or an unusual square shape, or anything else that just looks bad, and use common sense.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

if you haven't used it in 2 years, clearly you are not a climber. give it to a dirtbag at miggies.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

seriously
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
tsparks

Post by tsparks »

pigsteak wrote:if you haven't used it in 2 years, clearly you are not a climber. give it to a dirtbag at miggies.
well, the thing is my baby turned into a toddler and i made a choice to quit until she was big enough to go and have fun with. i've never stopped wanting to climb, i've just had things i prioritized before it.
$DO||!$DO; try
try is not a command
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

tsparks wrote:i've never stopped wanting to climb, i've just had things i prioritized before it.
Wow. What is that like?
gripster

Post by gripster »

you see people, this is why i do not have kids. i am far to selfish and I recognize this.