TopRope Party

Innocent subjects that took a turn for the worst.
linustgl

TopRope Party

Post by linustgl »

So I'm finding more and more people here where I work that already climb, or want to try it out. So I (with the help of a few others here) were thinking of bringing out a small party of 8-10 people, setting up about 3 TR's and having some fun and hanging out.

What about the ethics on doing this. I don't want to be rude and take up an area and ruin someone else's fun, but I do want to be able to relax and let some people take their time and hangdog as much as needed.

Suggestions?
Jay

Post by Jay »

Respect for other climbers in this situation can be key-

Go somewhere out of the way, like the slab wall at Roadside, be sure to set a toprope on anything under 5.11, and under no circumstances allow anybody else who shows up to climb on your ropes, or even pull your rope to lead, even if they offer to put yours back up for you.

If at all possible, it is best to let other climbers know that you've already "claimed" an area, so they won't bother even coming near you. I've found the best way to accomplish this is with a shrewd combination of a massive boombox loaded with your favorite hiphop selections and a mean dog off leash.

Oh, yeah- If you could leave your trash everywhere when you leave, that would be great! :wink:
"Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake." -W.C. Fields
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

jay forgot to mention the unleashed dogs. let your work friends know the Gorge is a great place for their unruly dogs.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

go to dip wall - there's 2 great 5.7's and around the corner there's a decent 5.4 and a 5.6 that share anchors. it's shady. stays dry in rain. doesn't see a lot of traffic so you can likely hang out in your own group and not be bothered by others (or bothering others!)
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
gripster

Post by gripster »

yes like mentioned above, it would be best to take over all of the warm-ups and keep your ropes on them all day, even if no one is climbing on them. might i suggest the bruisebrothers wall? this seems to be a popular spot for that kind of activity.

pigsteak forgive me for correcting you but jay did mention the dog off the leash thing, a mean one to be specific. a mean dog will certainly let everyone know that you are there to stay and will keep away unruly parties. oh yeah i almost forgot, you should really toprope directly through the rings if possible, that way you want have to worry about anyone having to go up and "clean" later. it is much easier to be able to pull your rope and go, without the unpleasant and somewhat frightening experience of cleaning the anchor.

have fun and be obnoxious!
ynot

Post by ynot »

seriously just take them to the gym.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Go to Persepolis, no one climbs on those routes and you get the cooling mist of a waterfall.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

if its during the week you stand a better chance of missing crowds. if you can lead trad that will help as well. practice wall is decent although i am pretty sure that the weber" don't like large groups as well as there is a "no guiding" clause. even though you aren't getting paid you are still guiding. roadside has a similar rule. so those two are kind of a no-no.

with that said i would check out the southern region. the big thing there is it's close to other stuff so people can move on if they encounter your group. also, your group can change areas thereby not monopolizing one set of climbs all day.

biggest things to remember:
1) tell your friends BEFORE you get to the crag what they should expect, how to minimize space taken up (and impact) where to potty, and other useful info.
2) DO NOT toprope through the anchors although i'm sure you know this.
3) allow others to be able to pass safely BEHIND your belayer. please don't clog up the trails with yardsales and bodies.
4) SHARE. this is not your place (or anyones but the Feds) so allow others to use your routes if nobody is cloimbing them.
5) if you are going to take lunch/hike/lounge around for more than 10-15 minutes, please pull your ropes to free up the routes. biggest peeve for most is when a group says, "someone's about to climb that in a minute" and then 40 minutes later they go.
6) use common sense and try not to be a dick
7) i would advise NOT bringing everyone's dog with you.
8 if you see any of the dicks who posted above, kick them in the nuts.
9) be safe, have fun, be safe, double check EVERYTHING, and have fun
10) finish the day with pizza and ale8
Last edited by anticlmber on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
bcombs

Re: TopRope Party

Post by bcombs »

linustgl wrote:So I'm finding more and more people here where I work that already climb, or want to try it out. So I (with the help of a few others here) were thinking of bringing out a small party of 8-10 people, setting up about 3 TR's and having some fun and hanging out.

What about the ethics on doing this. I don't want to be rude and take up an area and ruin someone else's fun, but I do want to be able to relax and let some people take their time and hangdog as much as needed.

Suggestions?
Since these clowns don't know you or that you are a nice guy I'll give you some real suggestions...

1) Don't hang your ropes on 5 star climbs that you know people will want to get on. Your co-workers likely can't tell the difference between 2 star choss and 5 star movement. That being said, pick routes that have seen a fair amount of traffic and don't have too much in the way of iffy rock. New people don't understand how easy it is to pull a bowling ball off onto the belayers head.

2) Let others play through. If they want to take a quick run on your route, let them. If a group of 8 walks up and asks your group of 8 if they can work in, tell them to get lost. If it's 2 or 3, let them work in.

Location suggestions:

Solar Collector: There is that 5.5 sport route right next to a 5.5 crack. Good spot to learn some trad technique. There is a 5.9 to the left for the dudes that want to show off for the ladies of the office.

Bruisebrothers: The two 5.8's and the 5.7 all in a row... This is a busy sopt in general. But you might be ok.

Left Field: There is a 5.5 here and a ok 5.9 (I think)... crag sees less traffic than others close by (playground).

Animal Crackers: A bunch of 5.easy routes in a row.

Of course, Practice Wall, but to be honest, if they have any experience at all it will be a waste of your time.

I wouldn't drag them out to an out of the way trad crag.... They likely won't have as good of a time, they aren't likely in hiking shape, a they are more likely to step on a copperhead and ruin your day. Trad technique is not intuitive. Face climbing is natural and likely what they have already experinced.

Places to avoid: Military, Left Flank, The Shire. They all have several easy routes in close proximity, but see way, way too much traffic.

Best bet... go to Muir, you can always crag hop.
toad857

Post by toad857 »

Josephine wrote:go to dip wall....(..)
dip wall?