insuring gear

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Josephine

insuring gear

Post by Josephine »

so just out of curiosity, does anyone insure their gear separately from their home-owners/renters policies?
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
sendit

Post by sendit »

I'm not sure why you would? Renters/homeowners will cover gear. I've had a couple friends living out of their trucks that got gear stolen and it was covered.
all you haters die slow.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

my homeowners has a $500 deductible whereas if i insure it separately it's a $100 deductible. just thinking about options and what would be best.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
bentley

Post by bentley »

just be very certain the insurance agent writing the policy knows exactly what it is, what you are doing with it and where you are doing it.

What is the annual premium?

Keep in mind that a homeowners policy will cover all of the contents of your car. If you have a policy for your gear but that policy does not cover jackets, sleeping bags, cooking stuff etc. your going to end up filling two claims and you really don't want to do that. Plus then your exposed to both deductibles.
Climbing is not free. Support your local climbing organization. Labor and money precious resources!
kirker

Post by kirker »

bentley wrote:just be very certain the insurance agent writing the policy knows exactly what it is, what you are doing with it and where you are doing it.

What is the annual premium?

Keep in mind that a homeowners policy will cover all of the contents of your car. If you have a policy for your gear but that policy does not cover jackets, sleeping bags, cooking stuff etc. your going to end up filling two claims and you really don't want to do that. Plus then your exposed to both deductibles.
Good advise bentley.

You should look at what the annual premiums will increase to if you changed your deductable to a lesser amount. It maybe less then a second policy.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

to insure $4500 worth of gear it's $100/year premium & $100 deduct through a personal articles policy at state farm.

that's a good point about having to fill out 2 claims if they take more than just my rack.
bentley

Post by bentley »

I would not take out the second policy.
I would just make sure that you have adequate coverage on your homeowners or renters insurance.

On that note, make sure that your policy reads that you have "Replacement Cost" coverage and not depreciated coverage. I believe the difference is clear but say you bought a TNF jacket 5 years ago for $400 and you have a depreciated policy. They will only pay you what a 5 year old TNF jacket is worth even though it will still cost you $400 to buy a new one. There are ways to get around that but it is not worth the hassle.

So, "Replacement Value" policy is what you want to make sure you have. This clearly applies to everyone and everything, TV's, bed, furniture etc.
Climbing is not free. Support your local climbing organization. Labor and money precious resources!
KD

Post by KD »

i would not want my insurance company to know that i climb.
bentley

Post by bentley »

Really the only company that would care is life insurance. There are still a few companies that don't ask if you climb. If they do you can expect it to increase your premium in upwards of 50%. And don't lie about that by the way!
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

Josephine wrote:to insure $4500 worth of gear it's $100/year premium & $100 deduct through a personal articles policy at state farm.

that's a good point about having to fill out 2 claims if they take more than just my rack.
I don't know, Josie. In five years, you would have spent the $500 deductible on premiums for the extra policy. Chances are more would be taken than your rack in which case you are out the $500 anyway. Just my take on the quandary. :?
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS