Setting up top rope without leading?

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
lalavina7

Setting up top rope without leading?

Post by lalavina7 »

Hi,

I will be visiting a non climber friend in Louisville in Apr and would like to take him out climbing. I prefer to set up top rope without having to lead it and just show my friend a good time on the wall. Any ideas on what routes would be good for that purpose? :)

Thanks!
Lavina
ahab

Post by ahab »

hands down, the practice wall in muir valley. in fact, i don't know of any other area in the red where that's even an option.
buy the Ticket take the Ride
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

Princess Arch has some TR's that were pretty casual, I haven't been there in years so the convenient trees may be a thing of the past but some longer lengths of webbing should get you dialed in. There is a scramble at the ridge terminus that would be a failsafe for persons or gear, low key approach from the Chimney Top parking area.
lalavina7

Post by lalavina7 »

Ah, I was hoping to get a sweet reply listing tons of places that I can TR. hehe. But, thanks so much for the info, guys. I can clean up to 5.10's, but I just started leading - so my nerves still get the best of me when I'm leading higher than 5.7s. That's why I just want to TR. :)
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Doesn't anyone teach gumbies how to use stick clips anymore?
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
endercore

Post by endercore »

if you can build natrual anchors you can go to DBHC or Indian Staircase to drop a TR.
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Stay away from Princess Arch! Anchors are crap and the routes are super dirty. D Boon Hut Crag isn't exactly top rope friendly either.

Indian Staircase (the Brain) is a good place, but you need two ropes (one for the anchor and one to climb on).

Might be easiest to go to a crag, make friends and get someone to either belay you up to clean their rope and leave yours or to hang your for you. A lot of climbers will let you do that, esp if you are doing some work for them. This is best done at super crowded crags (just kidding, but if you were the only one at the wall this technique would suck).
There is no TEAM in I
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

Ascentionist wrote:Stay away from Princess Arch!
+1

my experience there was not good when i was looking to set up a TR when i was a Very New Climber.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
tutugirl

Post by tutugirl »

If you climb were others are climbing most people are nice enough to set a top rope for you....
Margarita
The difference between bravery and stupidity is the outcome.
p0bray01

Post by p0bray01 »

I thought the anchor opportunities overall at princess arch werent too bad. Except the loose rhodos at the top of golden fleece :shock:
"The Mountains are my church and climbing is how I worship" - Tommy Caldwell