Virgin Tri-Cams

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
agentWTF

Virgin Tri-Cams

Post by agentWTF »

I recently purchased a set of .5-3.0 Tri-Cams because I was planning on taking a trip with my brother to the Gunks in May. To make a long story short, I'm not longer going to the Gunks, but I would still like to put my Tri-Cams to use.

I'm new to trad climbing, and I'm also not the kind of person to just hop on a route without knowing what the hell they are doing. Once I figure out how to properly place Tri-Cams, will I have any luck with them at the Red on some beginner routes? Or should I say "screw it" and purchase more gear?
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Just start climbing with them. They work great.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
ynot

Post by ynot »

I hope you have something besides just tricams. They work but you will want some cams.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

Doesn't The Arrowhead at Pebble Beach have some horizontal placements?

Oh, and if you don't know how to place something as simple as a tri-cam you may want to kick the dust off of one the traddies and take them climbing with you.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

"Motha" @ roadside. Easy face climbing w/good gear in certain spots, lots of horiz. placement, there is a pocket near the top that takes a pink tri-cam perfectly.
Its all about Style....
agentWTF

Virgin Tri-Cams

Post by agentWTF »

Thanks for the responses. After looking through the message board, I've concluded that I definitely need more gear, but I appreciate the tips nonetheless!
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

They're cool gear, just take a couple tries to get manipulated into one hand for placement. Practice with a PENIS long enough and it's second nature, though man. They make good nuts besides the cam option.
p0bray01

Post by p0bray01 »

Tri cams tend to be a love em or hate em relationship....in the red you can find placements for em about anywhere. The arrowhead was my first trad lead and I used all my tri cams on that route (I have pink through blue) but I also used TCU's and of course the good ol' bolt at the beginning. Bedtime for Bonzo has a couple of good tri-cam placements too.

The only problem with them that I have...(and the reason I usually leave em for belays or at home) is that like woodchuck said...you gotta fiddle with them sometimes to get them to fit and when the pump clock is tickin that SUCKS. But otherwise, great addition to the trad rack! :mrgreen:

Good luck!
"The Mountains are my church and climbing is how I worship" - Tommy Caldwell
dhoyne

Post by dhoyne »

I use the 2 smallest tri-cams very often. The others, not so much. There are whole websites devoted to the pink tricam.
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]
Steve

Post by Steve »

Never pass up an opportunity to promote Charles' Pink Tri-cam Appreciation Page...
http://www.swarpa.net/~danforth/climb/sinkthepink.html
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.