Environmental Impact of Rock Climbing

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

Climbing, positive or negative influence on Cliffline Ecosystems?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Positive
19%
Negative
81%

Total votes: 36

MOB

Environmental Impact of Rock Climbing

Post by MOB »

I'm doing a Biology seminar on the environmental Impact of Climbing.

Are there any particular issues you think should be addressed?

I'm also looking for info such as, total amount land secured for climbing (conservation) in Red River Gorge through organizations such as RRGCC, Access fund...
I checked their websites, but couldn't find hard numbers like total acreage. This info may be in the Guidebook, I haven't checked yet.

Input would be appreciated.
climbboy

Post by climbboy »

The impact of trails and the tamping down of dirt at the base areas certainly seems important.

Also, the impact of user trails vs. actual planned tread that takes into account drainage issues etc.

Raptors.
Lichen.
Plant life.
Petroleum use getting to and from the crag.
carbon footprint for manufacturing cams, etc.

That's my two cents.
pumpout2004

Post by pumpout2004 »

While the negative aspects are fairly obvious, it would be interesting to see if rock climbing brings about an appreciation for the natural beauty of the rock and nature itself. I know that for myself, even if the climbing on a particular trip is sub-par I'm always thrilled just to be outside, and I feel that rockclimbing has been integral in providing the means for this appreciation.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

based on cigareet butts, ebergy bar wrappers, and cloth tape thrown at the crags, my guess is that climbing is good for the environment. climbers appear to be mass consumers, therefore stimulating the ecomnomy. my 3 cents worth.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

How about what percentage of the cliff line in Kentucky has climbing on it. I am guessing its less than 0.5%. Is this really a significant amount. As dave said above, does the enviromental impact outway the clean up days, and other environmental advocacy that climbers bring to the area.

Something to think about.
Living the dream
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

You all do a fabulous job of promoting cliffs being/staying opened. :roll:
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

i dont think climbing brings about or fosters a love for the outdoors, that is something that is there before.
i see people treat it just like they are in the city or home and that isnt any good. also for many people its get to the cliff climb, climb,c limb, then spray spray spray, leave, repeat.

my 6 rubel
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Don't lump me into that group meadows. Yea there are a few jerks who litter, but think of all the people who helped cut trees down this week.
Living the dream
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

Any human presence affects the ecosystem. Anyhow, anyway. So we are guilty just for existing, breathing out CO2 and using up fresh water, etc. So let's not single out climbing. For practicality, just put it in comparison against other outdoor activities. Such as: Do climbers/hikers create less erosion to a wilderness than a mountain biker? All walking/hiking involved outdoor sports are certainly much more eco-friendly to the lands than motorized vehicles, just in emissions and resource use alone. Overall, it is possible that backpackers and climbers are living a more eco friendly lifestyle, compared to the motor home owner who drags a trailor full of boats, motorbikes and ATV's to burn gas for entertainment purposes. Maybe you need to redefine your seminar project in some way.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

Andrew wrote:Don't lump me into that group meadows. Yea there are a few jerks who litter, but think of all the people who helped cut trees down this week.
she wasn't..you are being lumped into the climb, climb, climb...spray, spray, spray group.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.