gun

Movies, music, food, blood, dogs, Horatio.....
Danny

gun

Post by Danny »

I'm wanting to get a rifle and am wanting advise about brands and models. I'd prefer a higher caliber, possibly 223 but may opt for a 22 depending on prices (including ammo) and other factors. I'd like something that is light and compact but accurate and semi-automatic. I know some of these tend to conflict with each other but I'm looking for a good compromise. I'm familiar with guns. I used a 30-06 and 12 gauge on a regular bases from age 10 to 15. The reason I want one is mainly for shooting targets and possibly personal safety when on a road trip or for survival if I ever decide to go live in the woods. I have a really old single shot .22 but if someone attacks me in the dark and my first shot misses I might be in trouble. Also where is the best place to purchase a gun?
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

PM gunslnga
pru

Post by pru »

gun shows, Danny. Decide what you want ahead of time, but have a couple of options in mind.

Brace yourself for exorbitant ammo prices.
climbing is dumb

~ Sandy
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

Cabellas and Dicks sporting goods usually have a wide selection ( in some states) and knowledgable sales persons. I got a 3-fer by Rossi for 199. It has 3 interchangable barrels. 20 ga shot, a .22 cal, and a hi power .243. All are single shot and the rifle barrels are scope mount ready. The 20 ga. shotgun barrel will shoot slugs too, which are nice for defense if you can't find some double00 shot shells to use. All came in a nice case, breaks down easily, less than 31 inches in length. If you wanna spend a few thousand, well I'd go for a big .50cal. sniper rifle myself.
sendit

Post by sendit »

my two-cents:
rifles aren't they best choice for either self defense or survival. shotguns are way better - you can hunt practically anything and a 12 gauge is plenty of stopping power. Plus, skeet shooting is way more fun then target practice, IMHO.
There are tons of inexpensive 12 gauge pump and semi-autos on the market too. Remington makes the classic 870 pump (~$250) and I just picked up a Benelli nova that I really like.
Just make sure you get some good practice in and be careful! I witnessed a near MAJOR accident 2 weeks ago at a shoot with someone inexperienced dropping a loaded gun and it going off. They weren't in my party but it was a wakeup call nonetheless.
Also, god forbid you'd ever have to point a gun at someone, but understand that if you do, you have to be 100% ready to pull the trigger.
all you haters die slow.
rohr

Post by rohr »

A ruger 10-22 is a nice semi-auto .22 rifle. I'm not sure what they go for these days but I think they're around $200 and you can probably find one anywhere that sells guns. That would meet your criteria for light, compact and semi-auto, and the accuracy is great for the price. If you decide to get fancy with it there are tons of after-market upgrades and modifications available. 22 is a great caliber for target shooting at short range. Ammo is super cheap (you can get a box of 500 rounds for not much more than you'd pay for 20 rounds of centerfire ammo). On the other hand, if self-defense and survival are your primary concerns, see sendit's post above.
Whatever you get don't forget to be smart and safe and lock it up--especially if you have kids and/or drunks around!
Danny

Post by Danny »

I've thought about the 12 gauge option and understand the advantages, but I'd like to have a bit more range and I'm a bit more interested in target shooting than clay pigeons. However, I'll probably get a 12 gauge pump too so thanks for the suggestion about the 870. Yea I remember the 10-22 from when I was a kid. That would be a good one. We also had mini-14's (I think they were .223) that seemed like the higher calibre version of the 10-22.
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

if you want a good accurate plinker the 10-22 would be be top choice. solid, reliable, tons of after market stuff, and super nice.
870 is a great gun and remington makes tons of barrels for it.

i forget who made them but i remember several over-under combos of .410-22, 20-22mag, and maybe a 12-223. i know there were at least two models and its a good middle ground.

.22s are piss for defense unless you get attacked by the lollipop guild or some shit. get a .22 rifle and a pistol of the .38+ size if.

my friend david used to carry a slingsgot with him, killed this big 'ol dude with it a while back. i'll ask him the model.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Barrett 50cal sniper rifle.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Saxman wrote:Barrett 50cal sniper rifle.
Looks cool, but way expensive.