Putzing Around

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
pigsteak

Putzing Around

Post by pigsteak »

After a 40 hour work week, I look forward to getting out and climbing both days on the weekend. I am betting I climbed 80 days at the red last year.

Anyway, those days I do not go out to the Red, I find myself bored to the core at home. I realize this is mostly because I am singularly focused, and do not have a very well rounded life.

When bored, I find I am a creature of habit, and fall back into the same safety nets. That is, I either: boulder on my home wall, start drinking way to early, go spend money at the theater, waste time on this site, or pretend to enjoy yard work. Pathetic, I know.

What do any of you do when you can't climb? What routines to you fall into to justify your existence without climbing? An suggestions for not being such a louse?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

heroin and risky sex
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

You're not a louse. You have a passion, Piggie. Do what you have to do, then indulge.

If it isn't interfering with the other passions in your life, enjoy!

Life is way too short!
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

i read this post and it reminded me of myself. i feel like i am letting climbing dominate my life a bit too much but i don't have much else going.
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

I completely relate. Sometimes I literally walk around the house in circles. If I'm really bored I end up starting my beer early. I think most of my injuries come from climbing in the gym too much because I'd otherwise be bored. I have a crap ton of IT Certifications not because they get me raises but because I'd be bored if I didn't have something to study for. If Michelle and I don't climb we end up finding something to spend lots of money on.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

if I'm not doing any of the above i.e. climbing on the home wall, doing yard work, or wasting money. I find othe things I enjoy such as working in my wood shop, or riding my bike, or spending time writing up plans and estimates for customers (yes I enjoy this). But it boils down to one simple thing for me: Am I happy? and everyday the answer seems to be always be yes.

So if you climb all the time and it dominates your thoughts and feelings ask yourself "am I happy this way?" if the awnser is yes, then there is no problem man. The hardest thing about happiness is knowing when we have it and managing to keep it.

Life is too short so be happy do what you want and live the way you want to live

okay a little off topic but there is my 5 cents worth....
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
Winterstorm

Post by Winterstorm »

Piggy, don't listen to Crank....you'd have too much fun, you could'nt handle it, trust me. Do listen to Hoochie Momma.

Since we've never actually met and I have no investment in your welfare I'd suggest fishing, fly fishing in particular. You don't need a belayer, just a life vest and some waders. In the scope of obsessions/hobbies/pastimes etc...climbing pales in comparison. I own three harness's, three ropes, enough biners,slings,draws,stoppers,cams, tri-cams for a dozen people to climb El Cap at the same time in teams of two. And yet.........I'm sure I have twice the investment in both time and money in fishing as climbing, and I don't even have a boat. As an added bonus when the weather's too crappy to climb you can tie your own flies :D thereby ruining you're eyesight 8) and shredding your tips on hooks rather than rock
Last edited by Winterstorm on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scars are tattoos with better stories
512OW

Post by 512OW »

My daughter. Music. Art.

I tend to eat when I'm bored, so to be a sport climber, I can't get bored.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
john e aragon

Post by john e aragon »

have some kids and you will never, ever wonder what to do with your free time again! get a wife first though
because i can
512OW

Post by 512OW »

Terrible advice. Get the kid. Forget the wife.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com