Penitente Canyon guide

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
chemist

Penitente Canyon guide

Post by chemist »

Was wondering if anyone had a guide or other info for this area. An old buddy, who can occasionally be trusted, used to rave about this area, and we wouldn't mind a stop on the way to the Salt Lake area. I know it's no RRG, but sounds like a fun place to tick off as many routes as possible in 2 days.
-Marcia
Lateralus

Post by Lateralus »

check mountainproject.com they usually have the basics to most areas that will get you there and on the classics
"Good things take time, impossible things take a little longer"
Percy Gerutty
Rags

Post by Rags »

There is also a small grocery store/grill where the locals eat on the road to it. they have smaller pocket guides available. It's in a little town called Lagarita.

I think you will find the grades soft but the rock not so much. It's a good place to rough up your tips. There is also a small bouldering area just east of there that sees a fair amount of traffic from Adams College. Turn Right and head into the canyon break when approximately one mile from penitente canyon. A pull off is very noticeable about 300 yards down this road.

I have friends that live in this canyon--beautiful country but you had better stock up at Del Norte or Alamosa before you camp.
climbboy

Post by climbboy »

Great hot springs nearby. It would probably be cool enough in the evening that it would be worth it:

Valley view hot springs (clothing optional, so don't be surprised)
Mt princeton hot springs.

IF you are headed that way, there are nice hot springs in Buen Vista, too (cottonwood hot springs)

Penitente is a fun spot and the the whole San Luis Valley has a really rich Spanish colonial history (that precedes any anglo presence in Colorado . . .take that Tom Tancredo).