Lexington Climbing Gym

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Saxman

Lexington Climbing Gym

Post by Saxman »

SiLex Climbing Gym will be opening soon. Anyone who is interested in becoming a member of a climbing gym in Lexington, please pm me and I will put you in the private forum where everyone can discuss with Art and myself the return of a gym to Lexington. We have found a location, will be signing a lease this week, and will be able to have the doors open very soon. We wanted to make an announcement sooner, but in case plans fell through, we didn't want to get everyone's hopes up as has happened in the past. We look forward to everyone's comments and recommendations since some aspects of the gym can be modified at this stage. In case you were wondering, SiLex is a Latin word for rock.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
caribe

Post by caribe »

If there is a surge of interest in the climbing community in a gym in Lexington then this will go forward. If people would rather stay home and boulder then no gym.
Brentucky

Post by Brentucky »

i'm interested in a gym and will likely be a regular if it pops up, but i'm a little confused. saxman makes it sound like a lease is in progress while caribe makes it sound like it's still only a possiblity if interest is shown. care to elucidate here? otherwise i'll just check it out in the private forum.
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

If enough people are not interested, we are not obligated at this point to do anything. Since some people will not be interested without a significant amount of top roping, we have to make sure the community wants to support a smaller gym in the beginning.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

To everyone who has messaged to be in the private forum, you can click on the Forum link and then on SiLex or it should show up in view posts since last visit.
kek-san

Post by kek-san »

I'd say finally it depends on what SiLex will offer. Can't wait to see what that is.
"Dying?" Man, that's the last thing I want to do. - overheard
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

Private forum? What the hell! Do you Lexington locals have a we hate Ohio private forum somewhere?
caribe

Post by caribe »

Our first goal is to have a place for the Lex climbing community to train, but if there is not much interest what's the point? Brent, we have done a lot of work. Lunch dates with Jack Hume (formally own climb time), Shannon and the proprietor of the best location yet to discuss why lexington has such a checked past with gyms, legal issues and business structure.

Bram ran a lot of scenarios and checked out other gyms run under many different business structures in other cities. Bram has put a hell of a lot of heart into this. His finger is more on the pulse of progress than is mine. My next step is finding out how much interest there is among the Lexington rock climbing community.
caribe

Post by caribe »

Brad: All those cars going back and forth across the Ohiah bridge are people going back and forth to have sex. There is no Ohio hate issue. Its a myth.
corduroy

Post by corduroy »

caribe wrote:Bram ran a lot of scenarios and checked out other gyms run under many different business structures in other cities.
which gym(s) are you modeling this one after?