Proposed Revised Forest Plan

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

Proposed Revised Forest Plan

Post by Guest »

The DBNF has a website for the Forest Plan Revision here: http://www.southernregion.fs.fed.us/boone/planning/
In theory you can sign up to receive a copy of the plan either in paper form or on CD but I keep getting errors. This plan was supposed to be out as early as today but it is not yet released according to the site.

Shannon was on the cover of the Courier Journal (Louisville paper) today! There was a story about the plan revision and the various interest groups involved, including but not limited (of course) to climbers.

As soon as the plan is available, I encourage everyone to submit their comments before the final copy is adopted.
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Hey Lynne, can you send me a copy of the Journal?????
Just genuinely disengenuous.

Post by Guest »

Gretchen, the article from yesterday's Courier Journal cover story is here:
http://www.courier-journal.com/localnew ... 402805.htm
There was another photo of Shannon in the print version but I believe all the text is in this on-line article.
ynot

Post by ynot »

Sounds like logging is the big issue.I'm not suprised.I have seen trees that will make 50 foot long boards,strait and tall.Drive around the gorge enough and you will see exactly what logging looks like.Sure it recovers,but it takes years for all that slash to rot and what little topsoil there is washes down the river.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

THanks Lynne!
captain static

Post by captain static »

I think we must be getting to Ben Worthington. He used the word crux where he was quoted in the article.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Good catch Capt.!!! That's too much. :lol: :lol:

Post by Guest »

ha ha ha Capt!

Ynot, I was concerned when I read the article. In fact that reminds me, there were charts in the printed version and an inset blurb showing the drastic reduction of logging over the last decade and the slant of the article almost seemed to be a preparation for a massive return to logging. I went on the DBNF site and their latest report indicates 89% of the Red is harvestable. Scary stuff. 89%!

As soon as the report is out, whoever sees it first, please post here so we can all get copies and scour the proposed plans. We all need to give feedback, perhaps everyone can try to attend the next RRGCC meeting so we can make sure not to miss any important factors related to climbing access.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Nothing wrong with logging, as long as it is done right. Hell, 90%+ of the red has already been logged at least once, someparts 2-3 times. What do you think you are following to get to the crag? Old logging roads...

Wes
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

Post by Guest »

Wes wrote:Nothing wrong with logging, as long as it is done right. Hell, 90%+ of the red has already been logged at least once, someparts 2-3 times. What do you think you are following to get to the crag? Old logging roads...

Wes
Wes, it's the "as long as it is done right" qualifier that concerns me.