Accident at Darkside sat.

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

They aren't heavy, but they are a little annoying at first. You get used to it. I almost always wear one on multipitch or sketchy trad, aid, ice, and new routes. I never wear one sport climbing, but I am super conscientious all the time about who belays me and about not getting flipped over. That said, yeah it's way safer to wear a helmet all the time. Hell, by the same token you should wear one driving to the crag, skiing, snowboarding, riding a bike, surfing, or doing just about anything physical for that matter.
Eric Cox

Post by Eric Cox »

I got a 3 inch scar across the back of my head now because I chose not to where my helmet and got flipped on Injured Reserve. Ouch!
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

steep4me wrote:Are they distracting or heavy to wear?
They definitely are distracting at times, but the newer more expensive helmets are extremely low profile so for anybody just buying a helmet now you're probably in luck. The helmets from 10 years ago all sucked, which is what I have...
cliftongifford

Post by cliftongifford »

steep4me wrote: His toe clipped something on the way down, which flipped him over and he swung into the rock head first...
I saw this happen once to a good friend of mine. Had another friend deck from 30ft on route in AK and busted through his helmet, still had to be helicoptered out but was fine... He would've been serously injured or dead if it wasn't for his helmet. I almost always wear a helmet while lead climbing and could care less what people think...
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Josephine wrote:helmets aren't always hot. get a petzl meteor III in white. lots of ventilation and so light i forget i'm wearing it. i may look like a dork, but i'm ok with that :-)
Just remember that these helmets are like bicycle helmets and have to be retired after an impact or 3-5 years of use. From Petzl, "Due to its light weight design, this helmet is vulnerable to damage from improper care. Do not sit on the helmet, force it into a pack, drop it, or allow it to come into contact with pointed objects, etc... Do not expose your helmet to high temperatures, for example by leaving it inside a vehicle in direct sunlight.

In other words, if you don't think about your gear, you should get a beefier helmet like the Elios.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
allah

Post by allah »

Go to Friends of Mike Tucker on Facebook.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

Mike had a much better night last night than some of the prior ones. His heart is strong and he is obviously fighting hard to recover. That said, he remains in critical condition -- he is on a ventilator for breathing, medicine is necessary to keep his heart beating, and he remains for now in a medically induced coma. As we said yesterday, he is sustained by his will and his spirit (and an incredibly fit body), and the prayers and love that you all from around the world are sending. Thanks to you all. Mike's family
not sure the date this was posted though.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
drivel

Post by drivel »

Josephine wrote:
Mike had a much better night last night than some of the prior ones. His heart is strong and he is obviously fighting hard to recover. That said, he remains in critical condition -- he is on a ventilator for breathing, medicine is necessary to keep his heart beating, and he remains for now in a medically induced coma. As we said yesterday, he is sustained by his will and his spirit (and an incredibly fit body), and the prayers and love that you all from around the world are sending. Thanks to you all. Mike's family
not sure the date this was posted though.
today.
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

I will add a word about the route. I was with Rob McFall when he bolted EM. I can with full faith say that Rob angsted over the placements and got several inputs on them. Rob is fastidious in this regard (perhaps only outdone by Terry Kindred) and actually moved the third and fourth bolts more than once in getting the optimum placement. We all know clip falls close to the ground are a heads up proposition regardless of the position of the bolts.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie