Trad gear on an airplane?

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
flyinglow

Post by flyinglow »

i just got back from red rocks, carried on my full trad rack, up to #5 camalot and a rope, no hassles. I just smiled and explained that it was rock climbing gear when i saw the x-ray person squinting at the screen. but maybe i was just lucky. on the other hand, they have yet to locate my checked baggage. i say carry on anything you care about, or just don't fly.
knooper

Post by knooper »

I had no problems this time around on the way back from Red Rocks with checking my trad gear through. Unfortunately, my climbing partners got slammed with the overweight charge since they don't seem to own a scale at home. They thought their 70lb bag was under 50lbs... Which goes back to earlier comments on what is "overweight" - if a 400lb person doesn't have to pay any more for their ticket than a 150lb person, why does a 20lb difference in baggage weight mean you get charged $50 more?

I've also checked my bouldering pad before, and I've even stuffed my rope in there with no problems what so ever - no oversized baggage charges.
merrick

Post by merrick »

no problems with crashpads, my friend even took a mondo on a flight with no hassles.

i have had biners taken from me on international flights in carryon.

just check it....
Back from the Dead!