Climbing Gym

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
KD

Re: Climbing Gym

Post by KD »

I think that possibly this whole thread (at least part of it) is a troll by Redpoint. Am I right?
clif

Post by clif »

in the beginning, a climbing gym created god.
training is for people who care, i have a job.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

Shamis wrote:
512OW wrote:Funny, I would avoid a gym that has yoga, treadmills, weights and the like, unless it is my only option. I think most climbers are making a huge mistake by spending so much time getting "stronger", and very little to no time getting "better". I've yet to see a single person gain more by doing yoga, p90x, running, weights or any other activity, than I've seen several gain by learning better technique and basic climbing skills, in probably half the time.
Cross training and working other muscle groups is pretty essential to injury prevention.
how would you know..you are always injured. seems to prove the opposite;)
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
512OW

Post by 512OW »

Shamis wrote:
512OW wrote:Funny, I would avoid a gym that has yoga, treadmills, weights and the like, unless it is my only option. I think most climbers are making a huge mistake by spending so much time getting "stronger", and very little to no time getting "better". I've yet to see a single person gain more by doing yoga, p90x, running, weights or any other activity, than I've seen several gain by learning better technique and basic climbing skills, in probably half the time.
Cross training and working other muscle groups is pretty essential to injury prevention.
They used to tell you that stretching was essential to injury prevention, and now they say it promotes injury.

I never cross train, and only do push ups to work other muscle groups (and those only during my hangboard phases), and the only injury I've had that stopped me from climbing was from trying to catch a climber who'd pulled all his gear.

Point is, you can do the exercises necessary to avoid injury in about 30 minutes a week, at home. A gym membership is hardly necessary.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
mike_a_lafontaine

Post by mike_a_lafontaine »

512OW wrote:Point is, you can do the exercises necessary to avoid injury in about 30 minutes a week, at home. A gym membership is hardly necessary.
You can do all the exercises necessary to avoid injury and have some hosebag open his car door into the bike lane. That sucks.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

512OW wrote: I never cross train, and only do push ups to work other muscle groups (and those only during my hangboard phases), and the only injury I've had that stopped me from climbing was from trying to catch a climber who'd pulled all his gear.
God that must be nice.
clif

Post by clif »

512OW wrote:
Shamis wrote:
They used to tell you that stretching was essential to injury prevention, and now they say it promotes injury.

I never cross train, and only do push ups to work other muscle groups (and those only during my hangboard phases), and the only injury I've had that stopped me from climbing was from trying to catch a climber who'd pulled all his gear.

Point is, you can do the exercises necessary to avoid injury in about 30 minutes a week, at home. A gym membership is hardly necessary.
if their is anything you don't know, could you post it to the Jesus H thread?
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

clif, I've got the Jesus H thread covered with all the pertinent info..we'll let odub handle the easy ones..you know, climbing related crap.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
clif

Post by clif »

:lol: :lol:
OZ

Post by OZ »

Full height gym would be great if it didn't cost an arm and an asshole for a membership.