The ongoing weekend idiot report

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
toad857

Post by toad857 »

Rollo wrote:
elevatedgaze wrote:sounds like a bunch of pussies complaining in here to me. It's funny how people feel much more comfortable in their home over the internet calling people out, than actually doing it on the spot. quit bitching and climb. Safety issues is one thing, but all this other stuff is just pointless rambling.
gotta agree.

there's a fine line between calling out silly mistakes and trash talking people who are new to climbing. i was new to it once. so were we all...

the greatest things that i've heard people say about the red are not about the rock itself, but about the people and the attitudes. there's a certain charm to having an ego-free whiskey-drinkin' time in kentucky. the integrity of that charm gets eroded with each malicious sneer...
512OW

Post by 512OW »

RRO wrote:
Andrew wrote: I am miserable up this high, all alone, I cry.
I knew there was a reason I liked you, RRO. :lol:
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
L K Day

Post by L K Day »

I remember a time when there were maybe eight to ten "regulars" active in the gorge. A time when almost every line was a potential first ascent, when there were hiking trails but no trails to the crags, no erosion, no cigarette butts, no wads of tape. Plenty of idiots, but no idiot climbers. The whole place was our private playground. There were maybe ten or so bolts total in place. I kind of thought it was OK, well, wonderful actually.

I guess most of today's climbers would have seen it as hell on earth. No bolts, no cams, no chalk, no sticky rubber. "I mean, how are you supposed to climb anything?" But let me tell you, it was incredible. Every weekend was an adventure.
Last edited by L K Day on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
JR

Post by JR »

Thanks for your thoughts on the Red of Old.
I wonder how your attitude and experience would have differed if you where born twenty years later?
L K Day

Post by L K Day »

I'd have been in the thick of things for sure. I used to dream about the big overhanging pocketed walls, but I knew that using 1/4" bolts was bullshit, and big fat bolts had not yet been introduced to the American climbing scene. I would have lobbied against grid bolting though, and there probably would have been some fights over all the trash at the base of crags. I had a pretty hot temper back in the day.
ynot

Post by ynot »

There are still several pristine crags. The routes aren't so good but it is nice. The saddle between Symphony and Jazz is one of my favorite spots. I usually see wildlife crossing there and the only trails are deer trails.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

ynot wrote:There are still several pristine crags. The routes aren't so good but it is nice. The saddle between Symphony and Jazz is one of my favorite spots. I usually see wildlife crossing there and the only trails are deer trails.
and during spring break this week, I bet the wildllife was better than ever. You peeping ynot?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
ynot

Post by ynot »

painting. workin 7 days a week while you guys play.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

ynot wrote:painting. workin 7 days a week while you guys play.
Welcome to my world, Partmer.
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

So anyways - back to the idots. Come on give me the latest. My new favorite thing to do on Monday mornings is to log on and read the latest weekend idot reports. This cry-fest about how mean redriverclimbing poster are is lame and don't get me started on the "remember how wonderful the red was back in 1981".
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist