Concerning the Black Bear

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
kato

Post by kato »

Q: How do you tell the difference between a black bear and a grizzly bear?
A: When you see the bear, climb a tree. If it climbs up the tree and kills you, it’s a black bear. If it knocks the tree down and kills you, it’s a grizzly bear.
No chalkbag since 1995.
Snowpuppy

Post by Snowpuppy »

:lol:
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear, such people become crazy-they become legends." ---Legends of the Fall
captain static

Post by captain static »

Unprovoked bear attack @ Philmont - http://ht.ly/28B7x
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
Foghorn

Post by Foghorn »

dustonian wrote:what kind of livestock do you have Foghorn, out of curiosity? You're awfully protective of it. Are bears known for their aggressive behavior towards livestock?
Hi dustonian

Bears have been seen near here every now and again, but I have never heard of them doing any damage nor have I heard of them being hunted.

We've got mares and their foals, cows and calves, rabbits, chickens, dogs, and whatever else happens to wander by from time to time.

Most folks I know around here are the "live and let live" kind.

We are protective of our pets and livestock. I feel a responsibility to any animal I have on the farm so I will do my best to insure it's health and safety. Animals that come here of their own accord and do no damage will leave here, at a minimum, unharmed. Many (think deer and turkeys) leave here well fed.

I do set several have-a-heart traps for the small animals that want my rabbits and chickens. If you ever see a coon down by the river with a international orange stripe down it's back, that is probably my contribution. He will not be welcome here a second time.

Foghorn
Hermits of the world unite !
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

captain static wrote:Unprovoked bear attack @ Philmont - http://ht.ly/28B7x
When I was there in 97 a kid got mauled really bad by a bear who came into their camp 3 times before it attacked late at night. They other campers had to beat the bear off with sticks to save the kids life. They eventually killed the bear but not after it killed 3 of the hunters dogs. . the Rocky mountians are not joke..... I guess neither are the hills of kentucky
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

the word at koops is that the guy was poking the bear with a stick to get it to stand up so he could get a picture of it standing......
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
Toad

Post by Toad »

Ahhhhh. A Circus Bear.

In all fairness, there are a lot of "Critters" around the Gorge that one would need to poke with a stick to get them to stand.
Victory Whip in da House. Yeah.