Accident at Darkside sat.

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

since not everyone has facebook - here's an update
As for the latest news (noon; 4/20): it has been correctly reported that Mike sustained a significant head injury as a result of a fall while climbing. He remains in a coma in critical condition at the ICU as the doctors work through the complicated process of managing the swelling and stabilizing his condition in order to better assess what is a very complex injury. His overall condition has remained essentially unchanged since his admission to ICU. We all know that Mike will continue to fight to overcome this. As reporting on every minute change in his condition can quickly become counterproductive, I hope you all can rest assured that I will post any significant changes as soon as the information is made available..
my prayers are still with him & his belayer.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
goodguy

Post by goodguy »

Thanks Josephine. My thoughts are with Mike and his full recovery.
Oh man, he is messing that up. However, he is missing his left leg so that way would probably be harder for him. SCIN, just before spraying some beta for a climber doing a route the WRONG way.
goodguy

Post by goodguy »

Could the moderators move the Walkie Talkie stuff to a new thread?
Oh man, he is messing that up. However, he is missing his left leg so that way would probably be harder for him. SCIN, just before spraying some beta for a climber doing a route the WRONG way.
flashmaster

Post by flashmaster »

agreed!
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

this is actually part of the grief process. Don't move it. Let it ride.
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
512OW

Post by 512OW »

Garmin wrote:My guess is that he blew the 4th clip, which is right in the middle of the crux. If you do this ground potential is definitely an option no matter what anyone tells you. I've seen people come right above the belayer's head by falling without rope clipping slack out. It would be easy to slip off of the slopey clipping hold, especially in this warmer weather... maybe this should finally be fixed!
I can't imagine a better spot for the bolt. As it is, the belayer doesn't have to feed out slack for the climber to clip. The "slopey" clipping hold is good, and its the best hold anywhere within a safe area that you could clip from. I've taken the fall from the hold, and its perfectly safe, assuming the belayer doesn't automatically feed out an arm length of slack for clipping. As the climber, its your responsibility to inform your belayer of any tricky spots.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
bigwallfish

Post by bigwallfish »

Garmin wrote:My guess is that he blew the 4th clip, which is right in the middle of the crux. If you do this ground potential is definitely an option no matter what anyone tells you. I've seen people come right above the belayer's head by falling without rope clipping slack out. It would be easy to slip off of the slopey clipping hold, especially in this warmer weather... maybe this should finally be fixed!
As the climber adjacent to the accident I can truthfully say that the location of the 4th bolt had nothing to do with the outcome of the fall...My guess is that your guess is wrong.
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

key word here is "GUESS"
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

Words from Mike's father as posted by Lee on the Facebook page:

"Mike had a rough night last night. His will and spirit are sustaining him, and your prayers."

Please keep Mike and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

lee
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
quicksilver

Be safe

Post by quicksilver »

It breaks my heart to hear of an accident like this and it happens much too often. I am praying for the young man. After nearly 20 years of climbing I sometimes wonder if it is worth the chance of severe injury or death. I have personally introduced many young folks (including my son) to climbing and always expound on the joys and spiritual aspects of the whole endeavor. Please be careful and climb safe as you all have loved ones and friends who know you not just as a climber but as a being they love and care about. I know shit happens as it has happened to me but you all are such good people and losing even one is not acceptable. Best wishes for Mike and his family.
"If you smile at me I will understand
Because that is something everybody, everywhere does in the same language"
Crosby,Stills and Nash - Wooden Ships