weight loss

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
Atl

Post by Atl »

Over the last 16 months I have lost 140 pounds. I found that the most effective means of weight loss was to have a varied and intense training routine (run 5 miles a day, weights 30 minutes a day, and yoga twice a week) combined with streamlining my diet. I eat as much now as I did at 360 pounds, but now I eat very little trash, and lots of nutrient dense food. The training took a few months to build up to, but now my energy level supports it. I have gained muscle tissue while losing fat at a very consistent rate. I do not consider this to be a temporary "diet" but a complete redefining of who I am permanently. I plan on continuing until I reach an optimum weight and state of physical conditioning for a man of 43. Just over a year ago it exhausted me to get out of my chair....now I am climbing and making extremely difficult hikes with little trouble. My whole point is that "shedding a few pounds" is pointless. Diets are pointless. Anything that is considered a temporary measure is also pointless. Decide who you are and become that person, and refuse to step back. I must say, however, that since I started visiting the Gorge that Miguel's fine pizzas have been a bit of a temptation to which I sometimes succumb. :(
Last edited by Atl on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.warriorfusion.org
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

Miguel's pizzas are not fattening! No way! You can eat all you want! Also when again available, French toast with berries and hashbrowns at RRO are okay!

Let it be.
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
KD

Post by KD »

there's that new stuff called ally or something like that. it makes u crap out the weight. saxman uses it and swears by it.
kirker

Post by kirker »

KD wrote:there's that new stuff called ally or something like that. it makes u crap out the weight. saxman uses it and swears by it.
I read about a product like that. Not sure if it was the same thing. I guess it doesn't allow your body to absorb the fat. Anyway read the side effects, and warnings. Its kinda nasty.
dmw

Post by dmw »

anal leakage. gross. and atl, Miguel's pizza can be very very healthy. so I wouldn't feel bad about that. and congrats on making such a huge life change. that is awesome.
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

ditto what she said and thanks for the insight Atl
Atl

Post by Atl »

I agree that Miguel's pizza seems more healthy than most, and usually the days I spend in the Gorge are accompanied by such a huge calorie burn that a little pizza is not an issue.
www.warriorfusion.org
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

For those avoiding the evil carbs, think again. By eating "resistance carbs" you can actually boost your fat burning.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/251.7/ ... cl=6361292
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

On April 1 I decided to lose weight. My main motivations were my climbing partners encouragement and SCIN's #5 requirement to send harder. http://www.redriverclimbing.com/viewtop ... c&start=15
Today I'm 20+ lbs lighter and have gone from a size 12 to a size 8 in less than 12 weeks.

i'd tried to lose weight in the past but because i relied so heavily on exercising it off, as soon as my schedule changed or i started back to school and i couldn't maintain that activity level, i went right back up to where i was. so this time i didn't focus on exercise at all. not to say i didn't climb every chance i had :wink:

the most major change was in the way i thought about what i eat. i figured i've eaten for pleasure for 28 years - now i'm going to eat for health. i made sure that whatever i put into my body had some health benefit.

so i logged on to www.weightlossresources.co.uk and got a membership. i input what i eat each day (royal pain in the ass) and it generates the % of my diet that's protein/fat/carbs + creates a plan that i should eat x number of calories. i input my weight and it gives me nice little charts and graphs of my progress (or lack thereof!). i can also input my exercise (and they include "rock climbing") and it adjusts the calorie intake. it's a pay site - and i'm sure there are free ones that do the same - but i like it and bec i paid for it, i felt more motivated to actually use it.

so each day i tried to eat about 50-70 grams of protein, have my little graph show that "fats" composed 30% or less of my diet, and stay within my calorie limits. this meant that i cut out a lot of bread (turns out i'd been overloading on carbs) and dairy (otherwise i'd have too much fat). i said i cut out a lot of - not all of. i also realized that it is not possible to live without my dark chocolate. so i budgeted a 1/2 of a hershey's special dark candy bar every day. i learned if you eat yucky healthful food enough, eventually you begin to like them. so i learned i can eat frozen vegetables, turkey (not on a sandwich or with dressing - just plain turkey), soy milk, high-protein cereal and all sorts of other things i'd thought were gross before.

the only other thing that was pretty hard was the discouragement when there were several "plateaus" and i thought "why bother, i've never been less than 150 in my life" - but if i looked at the overall picture and how much i lost from april 1 it helped to overcome that - and for the first time in my adult life i'm less than 150 :D

so for whatever it's worth - this has worked pretty darn well for me.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
caribe

Post by caribe »

Josephine: that was good. when my daughter and I saw you the other day I told her that you look like you were losing weight. You are looking fit. I hope it turns into #s for you.