Roadside

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Josephine

Re: Roadside

Post by Josephine »

Rotarypwr345704 wrote:Clifton, I know you know the owners. Is there a time frame they have in mind, or an actual plan of action to when RS will open again? Or are they like some other land owner who closed climbing to "protect access?"
I'm not sure if that's intended to be a snarky comment about Dr. Bob and Torrent falls - but I really see no comparison. You can still climb at Torrent Falls 3 days a week for free. He asks that you leave your dogs behind, don't shit in his yard, and register that day. I think that's a fair trade. Yes it does kinda stink getting up at 6am to register, but fact of the matter is you can and it's free.

Roadside has no such system in place. After they closed, they were offered a $5000 Access Fund Grant and a $5000 match from the RRGCC to restore the land. The condition was that they had to have a plan in place to reopen. No such plan has been put forth at this time, and the funds were not awarded. I'm hopeful that the owners will have a change of heart in the future and that some manner of free, public climbing will be possible. Until then, it looks like you've got to pay to play.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
toad857

Post by toad857 »

...and with the conspicuous lack of intent to communicate with the community, the slander thickens like concrete.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

I actually like it the way it is at Torrent. I would say 70% of the time I get access if I want it. Then when I am at the crag it is pretty quiet and nice to have it relatively to yourself. Rotary is just a hater in general, worse when he is drunk.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

nothing's 'free"...donate when you climb at torrent.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

pigsteak wrote:nothing's 'free"...donate when you climb at torrent.
Agreed... I throw a few bucks in almost every time I climb there.

Also, in the past I've checked online for a pass to Torrent as late as noon some days and still gotten in. It's really pretty damn easy.
Last edited by dustonian on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

If someone owns the land other than you ...

Nevermind, I forgot that I'm dealing with climbers. Carry on.
Last edited by Meadows on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

BTW, is it possible that all this attention on Roadside will keep the selling/climbing rate high? Obviously, many value it.

I think it's a pile.

Just kidding ... I'm just quoting a great climber from back in the day before women climbed and sending Stay the Hand had bragging rights.
DHB

Post by DHB »

Wait. You mean to tell me there's climbing at Roadside?

I thought it was just a place to take secret poos and stomp on plants.
Rotarypwr345704

Post by Rotarypwr345704 »

Josephine wrote:
Rotarypwr345704 wrote:Clifton, I know you know the owners. Is there a time frame they have in mind, or an actual plan of action to when RS will open again? Or are they like some other land owner who closed climbing to "protect access?"
I'm not sure if that's intended to be a snarky comment about Dr. Bob and Torrent falls - but I really see no comparison. You can still climb at Torrent Falls 3 days a week for free. He asks that you leave your dogs behind, don't shit in his yard, and register that day. I think that's a fair trade. Yes it does kinda stink getting up at 6am to register, but fact of the matter is you can and it's free.

Roadside has no such system in place. After they closed, they were offered a $5000 Access Fund Grant and a $5000 match from the RRGCC to restore the land. The condition was that they had to have a plan in place to reopen. No such plan has been put forth at this time, and the funds were not awarded. I'm hopeful that the owners will have a change of heart in the future and that some manner of free, public climbing will be possible. Until then, it looks like you've got to pay to play.
Listen, I could care less what land owners do with their land, cause bottom line it's their land and they get to do what they want with it. I just have to laugh at the "We're preserving access" and yet access is either very restricted or completely denied. If you wanna buy an area and then close it down, by all means go ahead. Just don't try and act like you're doing a noble thing
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Do you have any idea how much Dr. Bob has done to keep tons of other crags open in the Red?