PDs at Lode

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

Most Permadraws stripped from Lode today. What do YOU think??

Good
28%
Bad
61%
[FART!]
11%

Total votes: 181

SCIN

Re: PDs at Lode

Post by SCIN »

Dude, you should've called me. I could have saved you 2 hours of your life. Attending a meeting about why those guys stripped draws is like attending a meeting at which Jeffrey Dahmer tries to explain why he liked to chop men into pieces and eat them. There is no good explanation so there should be no attendees at the meeting.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

We could have used your input.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
dssclimb

Post by dssclimb »

Wish I could have been there.

Maintenance and sustainability are my two concerns for the permadraws. I'm tired of getting on routes and there being 50% or more of the gear being unsafe or at least hard on your rope. Then I feel obligated to replace the gear and spend fifty or so dollars to get it in shape. The steel draws are lasting longer but are still going to have to be replaced quite often on busy routes. Do we really want to buy new steel biners for chainsaw every year or two? A handful of super difficult to clean routes with fixed gear would be sustainable, but lately the pd's have gotten out of control. Does Burlier's Bane really need pd's? I just want everybody to understand the way we've been headed with everything fixed we are looking at huge costs of maintenace of the pd's. That's money I'd rather be spending on getting more cliffs open( which is the best way to handle the crowds). Also we haven't been doing a good job of maintaining bolts and anchors how are we going to ad a 1000 pd's to that equation. So we need to figure out what pd's are necessary and sustainable and come up with a system for maintaining them. And if you've never bought draws or biners to replace worn gear then you have no dog in this fight.

My two cents anyway,
Dave Scott
@@@

Post by @@@ »

So what percentage of the draws stripped were actually in need of replacement?
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

the lurkist wrote:We could have used your input.
Yea would've loved to have been there but I decided it was a better use of my time to watch Jersey Shore. I learned a lot more too. Sorry I missed it.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
clif

Post by clif »

yeah, i particularly liked this part-

"Basically, Situationism is cultural Marxism on acid....The Situationists did not talk much about an alternative world, an authentic universe outside the nightmare of the Spectacle..

..Debord’s bête noire is the commodity, which he regards as a demonic force that has literally taken over the world. “The fetishism of commodities generates its own moments of fervent exaltation,” he writes. “All this is useful for only one purpose: producing habitual submission."

'That playfulness should be the most lasting legacy of the Situationists is ironic, for it’s hard to imagine anything less playful than “The Society of the Spectacle”'

[excerpted from Salon.com]
training is for people who care, i have a job.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

SCIN wrote:
the lurkist wrote:We could have used your input.
Yea would've loved to have been there but I decided it was a better use of my time to watch Jersey Shore. I learned a lot more too. Sorry I missed it.
is this the elitist attitude of which Artsay speaks?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

btw, I missed it to...stuck at Hilltop Pizza trying to grab some grub.....
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

I hear the KKK meeting and the witch burning rally were scheduled at the same time so turnput was low.

-Horatio
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

dssclimb wrote:Wish I could have been there.

Maintenance and sustainability are my two concerns for the permadraws. I'm tired of getting on routes and there being 50% or more of the gear being unsafe or at least hard on your rope. Then I feel obligated to replace the gear and spend fifty or so dollars to get it in shape. The steel draws are lasting longer but are still going to have to be replaced quite often on busy routes. Do we really want to buy new steel biners for chainsaw every year or two? A handful of super difficult to clean routes with fixed gear would be sustainable, but lately the pd's have gotten out of control. Does Burlier's Bane really need pd's? I just want everybody to understand the way we've been headed with everything fixed we are looking at huge costs of maintenace of the pd's. That's money I'd rather be spending on getting more cliffs open( which is the best way to handle the crowds). Also we haven't been doing a good job of maintaining bolts and anchors how are we going to ad a 1000 pd's to that equation. So we need to figure out what pd's are necessary and sustainable and come up with a system for maintaining them. And if you've never bought draws or biners to replace worn gear then you have no dog in this fight.

My two cents anyway,
Dave Scott
Thanks for looking after me, Dad. Are you gonna take my car keys away if I drive with a buzz too?
Dave i used to think you were the smartest man in Lexington but now I'm not so sure.

-Horatio