Crazyfingers

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
Horatio Felacio

Post by Horatio Felacio »

speaking of cutting down trees...why in the hell would someone cut down that small maple tree growing next to the cliff left of stain/directly underneath the reacharound? it's not like anyone does reacharound. i forgot who, but someone told me that someone cut it down to help reinforce the trail around there.
Yo HO!! Just got me a code red and some funyons big dawg!!! SHIT YEAH! - Ray, excited about his breakfast
Toy

Post by Toy »

"I say people should learn how to fall correctly or grip tighter." Exactly right Meadows. If its too dangerous for you or you are not ready for that level of commitment, go do another route. I don't see any discussion on here about putting bolts on old trad routes with X ratings to make then more friendly. Leave the tree!
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

Toy wrote:"I say people should learn how to fall correctly or grip tighter." Exactly right Meadows.
Yeah, grip tighter... and then what if a hold breaks and you weren't able to execute that "correct fall" just in time to save your back. Then what?
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley
Caspian

Post by Caspian »

Jeff wrote:So dead tree trunk is better than a live tree with a root system?
i agree jeff. A trees root system will provide much more errosion control than dead lumber will.
"how ironic....now he's blind after a life of enjoying being able to see."~Homer
tomdarch

Post by tomdarch »

I've been wary of that tree. So far, I've managed to avoid falling on it. But hearing that people really are not just hitting it, but getting hurt, makes me think that it should be cut down. Like Wes was saying, it isn't an important tree, and as everyone else has pointed out, it has already been partially 'clipped'. If it's still in the way, I don't think that one mangled tree is worth people getting injured.
Bacon is meat candy.
Toy

Post by Toy »

Hey, holds break. Shit happens. Whatever. Roadside is not a gym. Come on stick clippers, this is rock climbing and its dangerous. I've broken holds before and taken 30 footers. But I didn't start reinforcing holds with PC7. That tree has always been there. The route is completely climbable as is so it should stay as is.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

I've fallen twice on that route with no problems, but I fell making a move thus eliminating that push-off arch factor. The only issue I've seen with the tree is inattentive belayers nearly dropping their climbers on it while lowering them off Dragon.
Horatio Felacio

Post by Horatio Felacio »

so we have 2 confirmed reports of hitting the tree? out of how many 100's of ascents that route sees a year...let's give a modest # of ascents per year at 200. the route was put up in the early nineties, so let's say a total of 3000 ascents. 2 out of 3000 people hit that tree...or you have about a 0.07% chance of hitting the tree. those are pretty good odds for rock climbing.
Yo HO!! Just got me a code red and some funyons big dawg!!! SHIT YEAH! - Ray, excited about his breakfast
dhoyne

Post by dhoyne »

I say we chop down every tree within 100ft of every cliffline just to be sure. Then we can pour concrete so there's no erosion. And of course we'll have to put pads on top of the concrete in case of a ground fall. Some nice park benches would rock also.
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]
mcrib

Post by mcrib »

.07% I am never getting on that thing again. It is basicly asking for death.
"I just want to disappear"