Spencer's Film (Red River Ruckus)

Innocent subjects that took a turn for the worst.
sumdog

Post by sumdog »

anyone know the release date?
"I mainly know 'bout possums."
krazykid

Post by krazykid »

That trailer is pretty sweet! When does it come out? And who is Victory Productions? I tried looking them up on the web but couldn't find anything...
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

ain't no blood in my body, it's liquid soul in my veins... - Roots Manuva
krazykid

Post by krazykid »

Cool. Thanks... Not a whole ton at the site. Killer promo though! Can't wait for it to come out.
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

I think the trailer is great and the video will be super cool.

I heard someone make a good point about this video showing someone taking these huge falls at the motherlode and how the owner of the motherlode would feel if he knew climbers were doing unusual things like that on his property, he might not be too happy about that.

I thought this person had a good point, what do y'all think?
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

I hate to be a doom sayer (and a party pooper) but I think it would be very troubling to the owner (a commonwealth attorney) if he found out. I think videos of guys taking heroic back flips off of the top of the Madness Cave (while really cool to watch), will inevitably lead to emulation by other 5.14 wanna be's. Playing these odds, with the amount of space Andrew had between him and the ground with such a fall, someone will get hurt. Young guys are immortal and do (seemingly) immortal things. That is the nature of rock climbers.
I further think that the landowner, should he find out (and I won't send him a copy), will immediately come to the same conclusion. What will he do then? What would you do?
I did make these concerns known to the maker of the film while it was in production.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
mcrib

Post by mcrib »

The closing of the motherload would be the darkist of days for us all
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

well let's not discuss that right now. it is all being handled by spence.
fuck the haters
marathonmedic

Post by marathonmedic »

I have to admit that after seeing that I want to learn how to do that sweet backflip, but it's probably not one of the brighter things I could do.

Anyone have an idea on the release date?
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

I agree in part with what the Lurkist said. Spencer asked me for my advice and I spoke to a lot of people to develop my opinion. There are tons of videos out there with people doing pretty insane stuff. On a Hueco video there are shots of people crash pad surfing (jumping out of cars at 30 mph onto crash pads at the dunes); on other videos there are scenes of climbers free soloing 5.12s. Yet, I haven't heard of anyone being seriously hurt trying these stunts resulting in climbing closures. He's using shots that are designed to somewhat conceal the crag. I doubt the landowner would recognize it.

The landowner hasn't been to the Lode in a long time. Generally, he doesn't care what climbers do there so long as no one messes with the oil rig (I have spoken to him on several occasions and he's conveyed this sentiment). But if someone were to die rockclimbing I agree that he'd probably shut it down. I also don't believe that a non-rockclimber would distinguish between someone being killed doing a backflip and generally rock climbing. The paper would say "boy dies rockclimbing." Rockclimbing is inherently dangerous. I think there's as much a chance of someone killing themselves as an inexperienced climber at the Lode as an experienced climber doing what Andrew did. There was another climber that day who seriously decked. I believe that should be more of a concern.

So, after thinking for a few months on this issue and arriving at these conclusions, I recommended that Spencer put the footage in the video.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast