Fear of Falling

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
krampus

Re: Fear of Falling

Post by krampus »

ha, the epic 5.7 in eldo. Yeah, that's slang for Eldorado canyon, slang was invented when I was in fourth grad so you might not have caught on. :lol:
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

lol...since I thought all real trad climbers had sent the bastille and devils tower and at least something in yosemite, I thought that would give me street cred.....
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
512OW

Post by 512OW »

I hate falling. It's still scary... every time. That said, I've taken 40 footers on gear and 70 footers on bolts. The best way I know to combat it is to make the decision when you leave the ground, or when you begin climbing, to not fall....either onsight or redpoint. Once I've decided this, then falling is not even a concern. If I do fall, it happens so fast that it's easy, and of no concern.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
caribe

Post by caribe »

Seems like everyone has to take a bad one before rope management sinks in. If you catch the rope behind any part of your leg and you are above your gear you will likely take a scary-dangerous, or deadly fall. I am not so wack out about fall as I am wacked out about falling badly. If the rope snakes behind my ankle or if I see it happen to my partner while I am on belay, that is when the fear creeps up.
point 2 here: http://www.climbingtechniques.org/clipp ... -lead.html
point 6 here: http://www.climbing.com/exclusive/featu ... ndex1.html (50 ways to fail rock climbing)
clif

Post by clif »

i've not read either of the books mentioned but otherwise i don't care much for any of the suggestions, not to say they don't work for some people. some of the possible 'psychology' that could be involved does interest me though. i think like the primary senses fear is telling us something. as an emotional response we can use it to mature our behavior. in one interpretation (to me), this is what 5.12ow is doing. more generally, your question could be considered an excellent example of how to cope with fear. try to understand it and deal with it rationally/methodically. climb within your approximate skill level. recognize dangers. mitigate risks.
taking falls does displace the unknown with the newly familiar, so that's beneficial, but taking falls intentionally to feel safer taking falls seems to assume the conclusion.
training is for people who care, i have a job.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Just think of this picture while climbing
Living the dream
KD

Post by KD »

just dont befriend him and then ditch him later.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

512OW wrote:I hate falling. It's still scary... every time. That said, I've taken 40 footers on gear and 70 footers on bolts. The best way I know to combat it is to make the decision when you leave the ground, or when you begin climbing, to not fall....either onsight or redpoint. Once I've decided this, then falling is not even a concern. If I do fall, it happens so fast that it's easy, and of no concern.
onsight, redpoint...or grabbing draws...don't ever forget the third option.....;)
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

andrew, i think that picture is mainly used to get teens to stop masturbating....
whoneedsfeet

Post by whoneedsfeet »

Or to lure them into andrews basement
Skipping cruxes is a way of life.