Concerning the Black Bear

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
TradWanker

Post by TradWanker »

dustonian wrote:what kind of livestock do you have Foghorn?
Sheep, obviously.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

You guys really, really need to watch this.

http://www.howcast.com/videos/100020-Ho ... ear-Attack
Snowpuppy

Post by Snowpuppy »

Nature doesn't need to be scared shitless, it needs to be respected.
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear, such people become crazy-they become legends." ---Legends of the Fall
DuppyC

Post by DuppyC »

Snowpuppy wrote:Nature doesn't need to be scared shitless, it needs to be respected.
I have never met you, but, you seem somewhat ignorant. You should work to fix that problem.

Best regards,
"No one has to do something he doesn't want to do for the rest of his life. But then again, if that's what you end up doing, by all means convince yourself that you had to do it; you'll have lots of company." HST
Redpoint

Post by Redpoint »

DuppyC wrote:
Snowpuppy wrote:Nature doesn't need to be scared shitless, it needs to be respected.
I have never met you, but, you seem somewhat ignorant. You should work to fix that problem.

Best regards,
I have never met you, but you seem somewhat cocky. You should work to fix that problem.

Give my regards to Broadway!
"It is difficult to estimate the potential damage of solvents; therefore the middle of the rope should never be marked with a felt-tip pen or similar. Although a danger might be improbable, it should never be ignored." Mammut
DuppyC

Post by DuppyC »

Redpoint wrote:
DuppyC wrote:

Best regards,
I have never met you, but you seem somewhat cocky. You should work to fix that problem.
You may be right...no worries. But, I like to refer to my cockiness as confidence. And, I am fairly confident that ANY bear that shows agressive behavior towards a human being needs to be put down. There are likely many more bears in the area considered as "eastern appalachia," but, you don't hear of many bear attacks...do you?

Further, to not publicize the fact that bears do exist in the Gorge certainly changes the way one would plan for a backcountry hiking/climbing trip...don't you think?

So, yes, I may be a little cocky, most all climbers are, but, I am not ignorant to the point that I want to protect bears over humans.

Sorry if I offend anyone.
"No one has to do something he doesn't want to do for the rest of his life. But then again, if that's what you end up doing, by all means convince yourself that you had to do it; you'll have lots of company." HST
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

I can tell you right now that if it was a Kentuckian; we wouldn't be reading about a bear on the loose. We'd be reading about how a local man defended himself against a bear attack with his .357 Magnum.

Stupid actions or not a humans life is more important than a bears. If its not put down it will undoubtedly strike again and maybe next time with more success. Are you willing to sacrifice your kid so a bear can live? Yes it suck that an awesome creature such as this has to be put down....
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

Redpoint to the rescue!
Redpoint

Post by Redpoint »

1. I have a pet bear (not by choice) and I think they are very lovable creatures. So much so that I always sneak it in my tent when I go to "no bears allowed" campgrounds.

2. Due to a story I recently heard, I'm always afraid a local will sneak on to the NATURE PRESERVE he likes to chill at, shoot it, and then mount it, while all his local neighbors praise him for killing the beast that almost got their local kids ate.

3. It was probably another Ohioan who was going around lifting up rocks, like they always do, looking to get bit by a snake, like they always do (I learned about this phenomenon from a RRG rescue team member), only this time there was a bear standing on the rock he wanted to lift, and so he got in to it with the bear, lost the fight, and the bears friends had to pull it off of the guy, so please don't point out how bad of a run-on sentence this is.
"It is difficult to estimate the potential damage of solvents; therefore the middle of the rope should never be marked with a felt-tip pen or similar. Although a danger might be improbable, it should never be ignored." Mammut
MathRocks

Post by MathRocks »

The reason I'm calling bullshit on the hikers story is because in most of north america, bears and hikers coexist quite peacefully. Why is the situation at RRG so different?

Does this logic hold?
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

-T.S. Eliot