Tetons and general wyoming

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
CPower

Post by CPower »

Hey Hogi,
Have a blast,the Tetons rock! If The Grand is your main objective I would highly
recomend doing the Owen Spaulding first to get acquainted with the descent and then doing the Upper Exum or complete Exum depending on your comfort level in the Mountains. Reserve your campsites soon to insure you get the ones you want.
Most parties(including the Exum guide parties)do all the above routes from the
Lower Saddle campsite. Alpine starts are a must, and keep a very close eye on the weather.Also you will probably want to acclimatize on easier routes first.Some that i have done are east face of Cube Point 5.4,and East ridge of Symmetry spire
4th class.These two routes make a fine introduction to Teton style mountaineering
at a lower elevation and can be done from one beautiful campsite at Arrowhead pool. Unlike the Grand these sites cannot be reserved but, luckily, sites not on the Grand can be found all throughout the Teton range all year long.Check out Buck
mountain as a training climb as well. Stewards Draw is the place to Camp for that
one.We found these routes just by diving into the Climbers Guide book by Leigh and Ortenburger and chatting up the Climbing Rangers at Jenny Lake. In all I've done about 50 routes in the range and haven't regretted getting on a single one!!
Feel free to E mail me if ya got any other questions about the area.
Hueco monkey
no grain

Post by no grain »

How would it be to do O-S route in one of the first two weeks of june? What would the snow coverage be? Do you have to reserve campsites?

Thanks.
No big deal.
CPower

Post by CPower »

The snow could still be quite deep at that time, it really depends on the individual
year.The O S is above the west face of the Grand and can hold snow all throughout
the year.You would need an axe and crampons(and solid self arrest technique)almost definitely in early June. And yes,you always need a permit to camp on the Grand,reserving is just a good idea because the area is the most used in the Tetons so sites can be filled up. Early June won't be so crowded,peak season is July
and August so you might get sites without reservations.Have fun!
Hueco monkey
no grain

Post by no grain »

Thanks.
No big deal.