Crag Talk

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.

How do you feel about talking about plastic pulling while real rock climbing?

You may select 1 option

38%
62%

Total votes: 58

toad857

Post by toad857 »

round and round we go.
Brentucky

Post by Brentucky »

Did someone already ask if it's cool to talk about an outside route if you're in a gym? Seems so obvious, maybe I just missed it. Strong gym rats have feelings too!
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

True story... I saw an friend at the gym who asked "What are you working on". Without thinking I spouted off the current project at the gorge. Never crossed my mind to work something at the gym. Since then, that is about all I do.
krampus

Post by krampus »

Brentucky wrote:Did someone already ask if it's cool to talk about an outside route if you're in a gym? Seems so obvious, maybe I just missed it. Strong gym rats have feelings too!
I talk more about climbing outside at the gym than I do anywhere else (which isn't very much, cus we all know people don't want to hear it), I would rather be outside and the gym is getting me stronger to go outside, the opposite is not true. Patxi may be a badass, but I don't see the point.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
Brentucky

Post by Brentucky »

krampus, don't act like you think there is a point to anything a person doesn't think there is a point to; i know you better than that. paxti's point is to be the best at what he does, seems pretty good to me.
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening
JR

Post by JR »

Flipping this on its head.

I was talking about climbing routes at CT in Cincy and someone asked me "Doesn't climbing routes make you weak?" I had to admit in the short term it did. I tried to explain that maybe climbing routes would eventually help his gym climbing. He seemed excited about this possibility. His reply. "Maybe I'll try that".
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

Brentucky wrote:paxti's point is to be the best at what he does, seems pretty good to me.
Something I have been curious about though. Does anyone know what the difficulty of the world cup route tends to be? Is it even 5.14?

The reason I ask is that Paxti's training is the only thing that would work for Paxti's goal, to win a world cup. Sharma, Andrada, etc... are strong dudes. But, they work hard, sometimes 100's of attempts, to send these 5.15's. However, Paxti gets one shot to onsight the route and win the cup, or all that training is for nothing.

I guess what I'm saying is that at first glance I thought all the training Paxti did was way overboard, but he has one chance to do it, not 100's. I wonder what Paxti's onsight ability is outside.
JR

Post by JR »

I used to be very shy about stick clips, talking about gym climbing, clipping bolts, matching draws and low end climbing shoes. I was very aware of all things gumby at the crag. Ironically, I thought that sneaking around climbing every dirty ass 5.7 corner in the Red was real climbing. Gear climbing at obscure crags was real climbing. It is and it isn't. Eventually, I started to not really care about any of it. I unabashedly do all these things now. I embrace doing gumby shit. It is good for a laugh. My favorite days climbing are not necessarily filled with the most sends for me and my cohorts, it is filled with laughter.
krampus

Post by krampus »

bcombs wrote: I wonder what Paxti's onsight ability is outside.
I could care less until he tries, then I might say "damn", but more likely I won't hear about it cus I'll be climbing outside myself.
krampus

Post by krampus »

JR wrote:I used to be very shy about stick clips, talking about gym climbing, clipping bolts, matching draws and low end climbing shoes.
I know all about low end climbing shoes, my brand new mad rock are doing just fine. Its a poor workman who blames his tools anyway.