Out west sport climbing? A joke...

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

variety is better, but quality is no better. although limestone would be nice around here, cuz I suck on it.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
rustyvasectomy

Post by rustyvasectomy »

schwagpad wrote:The problem isn't the west, it's your insistence on clipping bolts. I'm sure we have no disagreement that the overall variety of rock climbing in the west kicks the shit out of anything back east. Rjight?
Multipitch rock climbing is obviously kick ass out west and cannot compared to anything back east (gunks and seneca are a joke). For single pitch rock climbing, on the other hand, its hard to argue against the red and the new. If those two are combined into a mega area (not unresonable as they are only 3 hours apart) then thats 4000 routes everywhere from multipitch slab traddie-ups to uber steep jug hauls. Or, about 20 rifles! So, you would have to come up with 20 areas with quality as good as rifle or the red/new to make a convincing arguments.
"It’s a not so secret secret that people who call themselvs trad climbers dont actually climb. They just post shit on rocklimbing.com all night while masturbating to Parrollelojams."
Steve

Post by Steve »

Wes wrote:
Steve wrote:Bishop = good weather ?!?! Too hot in the summer. ORG is in a hole with a hydro plant and water supply for LA. LA! Plus you can't see the beautiful Sierra range when you're down in a hole.
"tis but a short drive up the hill to mammoth, or even T-meadows from bishop. Which is one of the nice things about being there - you have easy access to stuff at 4,000 feet, all the way up to nearly 11,000 feet.
Touche.

If I went that approach I'd live up in Mammoth or June Lake and do the reverse commute to the climbing in the winter. That is if I could afford to live in Mammoth or June Lake.
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

reospeed wrote:I lived in Idyllwild, CA for a bit, and thought it was awesome (not a lot of great sport climbing) BUT super close to Jtree for winter climbing...and had Idyllwild for summer climbing...plus Red Rocks was 4 hours a way, and Yosemite and Bishop werent much further. The Red is great, but I love California!
Idyllwild is pretty awesome.
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

rustyvasectomy wrote:Multipitch rock climbing is obviously kick ass out west and cannot compared to anything back east (gunks and seneca are a joke).
I've done a bunch of long routes out west, and none of them stand out in my memory as much as gunks classics.
Last edited by Shamis on Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JB

Post by JB »

no ray.. the climbing in lander sucks. when i was climbing in Sinks (year round), it was horribly varied, enjoyable, and well bolted. Wild Iris has amazing routes in an almost alpine setting, which means afternoon storms and the snow drifts stick around till June. It also means aspens and wildflowers and views of the southern Winds. Please do not come to climb at Sinks or Wild Iris, unless you are bringing ale-8 and plan meet up with me and jenn.
[size=75]i may be weak, but i have bad technique[/size]
dmw

Post by dmw »

wyoming has horrid rock climbing. stick to colorado, please. jb is full of crap and all he cares about is ale-8.
michaelarmand

Post by michaelarmand »

rustyvasectomy wrote: Iv always wondered why people refused to climb in the red during the summer. Sure, its sweaty and manky. So, just get on stuff thats normally below your limit, and it will challenge you all the same. Still WAY more classic than your air conditioned gym.
Climbing gyms have AC?? Rockquest here in Cinci seems to always match the outdoor temperature and humidity, minus any fresh breeze.
rustyvasectomy

Post by rustyvasectomy »

Shamis wrote:
rustyvasectomy wrote:Multipitch rock climbing is obviously kick ass out west and cannot compared to anything back east (gunks and seneca are a joke).
I've done a bunch of long routes out west, and none of them stand out in my memory as much as gunks classics.
are you really saying the gunks are better than yosemite? Really, splitter 30 pitch granite is just not as good as wandering 3 pitch grease-ups packed with greasy pissed off new yorkers?
"It’s a not so secret secret that people who call themselvs trad climbers dont actually climb. They just post shit on rocklimbing.com all night while masturbating to Parrollelojams."
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

rustyvasectomy wrote:
Shamis wrote:
are you really saying the gunks are better than yosemite? Really, splitter 30 pitch granite is just not as good as wandering 3 pitch grease-ups packed with greasy pissed off new yorkers?
Obviously nothing compares with Yosemite, but longer doesn't necessary mean better.

Also, I think you're a douchebag.