Skills, you need mad skills.

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

Two things I always try to keep in mind (if nothing other than to make myself feel better)...

1) 99% of the population of the U.S. doesn't see what the big deal is with climbing.
2) ~90% of the population of the U.S. will never see the same fitness as even the lamest chuffer. :)

Even the lamest skill is still a skill by definition.
L Day

Post by L Day »

SCIN wrote:Soloing 13c is no big deal anymore. Athleticism in climbing is owned by Sharma, Graham, Ondra, etc. These guys could out climb 99.9% of anyone on any piece of stone. Larry, I'm sorry that you sound like a Nascar fan whose favorite driver has been beat.
Dude, you are "projecting". At least I think that's the term psychologists use. I wouldn't argue for a second with anyone that maintains that Sharma is the best rock climber in the world. I'm just saying the world of climbing doesn't end there. And that the people who are doing the hardest climbs in the world excelled at sport and trad before seeking even greater challenges.
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

I don't know what you are saying but I feel like a little boy participating in this thread. I agree with Charlie.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

L Day wrote: I'm just saying the world of climbing doesn't end there. And that the people who are doing the hardest climbs in the world excelled at sport and trad before seeking even greater challenges.
Thanks for the announcement. We can all move on with our lives now.
elcapitan1974

Post by elcapitan1974 »

We are "all" wana bees. How come you guys are not in the mags! The real men in climbing are laughing at our silly arguments. Get out and climb and shut the fuck up, you bunch of climbing Nazi's! :D
stoned monkey
L Day

Post by L Day »

Truth has reared it's ugly head, 'cept for the Nazi part.
512OW

Post by 512OW »

If I lived near alpine rock, I'd be an alpine climber. As it is, I just want purple stars, or whatever color Charlie chooses to give me.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
512OW

Post by 512OW »

L K Day wrote:512OW - Where you're wrong is in assuming that the cutting edge super alpinist is not also a bad assed sporty. All his big wall, ice climbing, and high altitude experience is stacked on top of his ability to climb 5.13 when he's clipping bolts. Tomo Cesen comes to mind.
By the way, I was only referring to your original post, "Hard trad outranks hard sport, by fucking miles. Every time."

I couldn't give a shit less about super alpinists when it comes to the argument you proposed. Please read your own posts before showing your senility. Thanks.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
L K Day

Post by L K Day »

Alpinism is the most traditional of all recreational climbing. Super Alpinism is just the current cutting edge.
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

L Day wrote:
SCIN wrote:Soloing 13c is no big deal anymore.
That's absolutely right. I think Tomo might have done that more than ten years ago.
BUT I seriously hope that there are no 5.13 soloists here in the Red. Hate to see a sensless accident add to the toll here, as that could affect the access, etc. Responsible climbing please, and leave the solo hero attempts to some Colorado backcountry rock.