Alcohol Banned in Red River Gorge Campsites

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Actually, that was the driving purpose behind the PMRP. The RRGCC was visionary in its actions.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
MSMITH

Post by MSMITH »

Stupid, Even if policies change, the people don't. I'm sure that they'll just overlook it if you're discreet and not causing any problems. They aren't that lame.
captain static

Post by captain static »

Possession of an alcoholic beverage or marijuana has been banned in the entire Daniel Boone National Forest since May 2005 per a Forest Supervisor's Order: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/law/db_06 ... abis.shtml

It should also be noted that in the LAC process there was a very strong input from locals that the Forest Service needed to improve enforcement of exisitng regulations.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
tickie_cat

Post by tickie_cat »

Saxman wrote:That's like saying people who want wine with a meal have to have the wine to enjoy the meal. Bad logic.
No, if someone HAS to have beer in order to have fun, then there's a problem. You may want to have alcohol, but you still have to consider the locale and the rules, along with the opinions of the local people who we all interact with. I fully understand how rules that don't make sense to us personally can be really irritating - I've run across plenty. Popular nullification in this case can only make the USFS maybe start thinking more about limiting climbing/camping or increasing surveillance.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
ahab

Post by ahab »

tickie_cat wrote:Popular nullification in this case can only make the USFS maybe start thinking more about limiting climbing/camping or increasing surveillance.
it's for our own safety/protection people. drunken ohitians can be very dangerous. CCTV at our fav crags should be the FS' next move.
that said, being safe/protected is such a buzz kill! :cry:
buy the Ticket take the Ride
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

I liked the old policy of we will only enforce if needed. Most people are reasonable. It's the ones who feel the need to drink near cliffs at night that are the problem. Or the ones packing a case back to courthouse. I see more dumped trash from local rebels than beer cans in the gorge. It's more of trash in general at camp sites than beer cans. Blaming the wrong group. Patrol the hiking trails and hard to reach camp sites to get to the problem areas but that would take too much effort. By just patrolling common camp site areas on Sunday morning you could catch the bad eggs that leave trash.

Cheers! (see responsible drinking - I am tied in 2,000ft off the ground)
Last edited by TradMike on Wed May 14, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlie

Post by charlie »

rhunt

Post by rhunt »

I think they should ban laughter too. I am getting tired of that shit.
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
Toad

Post by Toad »

It's all a conspiracy...
Take the fun out of the use of public land so nobody cares about it anymore...then institute, without any resistance, a scorched earth policy of drilling, mining, cutting, etc.
Victory Whip in da House. Yeah.
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

Life , liberty and the pursuit of happiness... if there's a new sheriff let him know I have a gun too-bitch