Shelf Road - Good?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

I lived in the Springs for 18 months, and that was our home crag. Like most said, the rock quality is average, and the pockets can be sharp. Overall, the crags are not steep.

That being said, I also found Rifle to be an overhyped chosspile. Lots of glue, lots of slick rock.

In fact, I would suggest Colorado sport be skipped all together. hit some trad out there, and move on.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
haas

Post by haas »

pigsteak wrote:In fact, I would suggest Colorado sport be skipped all together. hit some trad out there, and move on.

Never saw that one coming from you buddy, :wink: .
ATLdude

Post by ATLdude »

Depends on when your going- winter is better at shelf- lower elevation, further south. Rifle will be out of season soon- maybe already- once the snow comes to the range it gets wet and stays seepy until late spring.

that being said- Shelf is a pile- all vert, chossy etc. Rifle is the best sport climbing in the west (by far).
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

ATLdude wrote: that being said- Shelf is a pile- all vert, chossy etc. Rifle is the best sport climbing in the west (by far).
and compared to the red and the New, that should tell you somthing.
haas

Post by haas »

pigsteak wrote:I lived in the Springs for 18 months, and that was our home crag.
What, no love for Garden of the Gods? There's some good clippy clips there.

Rifle is still in season
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

lol...ah, the mammaries of garden of the gods....talk about learning to get your lead head as the feet crumble underneath ya.

silver spoon was my first lead there...

so haas, have you honestly found any sport areas out there that can hold a candle to the Red? It has been 10 years since I've lived there, so my memory may be jilted.
endercore

Post by endercore »

if your out there you should hit up 11 mile canyon as well.

also turkey rock/ sheeps nose is pretty cool

there is a new sport place close to garden of the gods... Red Rock Open Space. Much better climbing than the garden, but nothing compared to the rrg
RRO

Post by RRO »

i am surprised this many people didnt have a good time at shelf. its not the red, new or obed but we thought it was pretty good. we were in CO for a few months and it was worth the drive south from estes for us. not a road trip desitination but imo worth stopping just to say you have climbed there. if your scared of the vertical terrain i guess it would suck. we didnt have any holds break, the camping area to ourselves and got on some cool techy lines.
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

I'm actually pretty psyched to do vert routes. We get enough of the steep stuff at the Red.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
redpointron

Post by redpointron »

SCIN

climbed there several times. not bad. you can easily log 10 routes in a day. more than happy to loan you the new guidebook -- i believe it came out last summer. i will be back from india in about a week and hope to be back down the first weekend of november.

regards

r.r.