rope purchase

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
Rags

Post by Rags »

hey jesse...didja go for a skinnier rope? 10.2 vs 10.6? I wouldn't mind buying it local at all...
Stewy911

Post by Stewy911 »

i love my sterling rope. breaks in fast and its not a "bungee cord"
Miguels carries tons of ropes and Red River Outdoors sells them as well I believe.
Who Me? I gotta hitch hike god damn 18 miles to get a god damn beer......that's bullshit.
rjackson

Post by rjackson »

My Sterling ropes are great.

I've been very happy with 'em. My 60m has been retired to the gym and has 4 years of climbing on it. Right now I have 70m Evolution I picked up at Miguel's (they discounted it enough to knock off the tax) last year. Greater sense of security when climbing routes that are recommended for 60m lengths. Both are 10.2 but I'm getting ready to take the plunge and get a 9.8 for this fall. The routes are getting tougher so I'm anteing up for the sends.

Also, both ropes are bi-color. Makes it easy to remember which end you took the whipper on or where the halfway point is for a descent.
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

one consideration of the skinny ropes is how the grigri will perform with the smaller diameters I have had no incidents but have heard of a few dropped leaders though actual error could be placed elsewhere in the belay system ie. human beings complicating the scenario man
kneebar

Post by kneebar »

I finally bought a 9.8 Sterling rope. Really nice cord, best I have had. Nice feel and hasn't gotten fuzzy (hate that). Would really like to get a 10.2 bi-color 70 meter and the Sterling will be the one. Can't really say I have heard anyone not being happy with the brand.
ReachHigh

Post by ReachHigh »

I had a sterling that went flat real fast, but I seem to have been the only one with the problem.
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."
Rags

Post by Rags »

the bi color is really nice when looking down to figure out where you are...
ElectricDisciple

Post by ElectricDisciple »

skinny ropes + gri-gri = dicey belay situation.

10.2 X 60m sterling marathon sport rope is the best, most inexpensive rope out there.

Or, you could surely take up Sax's suggestion...
rjackson

Post by rjackson »

It's only dicey when/if your belayer is not paying attention.

I've actually had more trouble with some other climbers' coated 10.2s which ran through my gri-gri much faster than the 9.8s did on the lowering. The camming mechanism has always locked up on falls, so long as you're not gripping the gri-gri too tight.

I would still trust a gri-gri with a skinny rope as opposed to a fat rope and an ATC. Never know when your belayer is going to pass out from dehydration, cerebral edema or alchohol poisoning.
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
ewaaser

Post by ewaaser »

Definitely get a bi-color or at least a factory marked center - especially if you're ever going to do any trad climbing. Being able to find the middle of the rope easily on raps is a real plus. Personally, I like my 10.2 as an all-around size. Thin enough to keep the weight down, thick enough to take the wear and tear and provide good friction for belay/rappel.