Multi-pitch Belay Device

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Eric

Post by Eric »

The GiGi works pretty much the same as the reverso, but is simpler and with less parts.
"But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?" – Lord Byron
enoch308

Post by enoch308 »

If it has less resistance than the reverso I would love to try the ATC guide.
The reverso did a great job at holding a fall, but it was't fun to use. I never got used to it and always regreted buying the thing since it was such a pain to use. Is the ATC guide much better?
....with every step he takes ... every move he makes....
odds are he won't live to see tomorrow.
ewaaser

Post by ewaaser »

Yeah, it is. I love the thing.
enoch308

Post by enoch308 »

Another gadget to buy ! A reason to go the nearest outdoor shop and purchase a piece of climbing gear. Sometimes all I need is an excuse. Will it make me climb faster and be the answer to all my dreams?

What about as a regular belay device below the climber too. Or do you really just use it to bring up the second ?
....with every step he takes ... every move he makes....
odds are he won't live to see tomorrow.
powen01

Post by powen01 »

Yes, it will be the answer to all of your dreams, make you climb faster, and it comes with a pony to ride!

It also works as a regular belay device (same function and design as an ATC-XP), with the added feature of an autoblock for bringing up one or two seconds.

And unlike the reverso, it doesn't seem to develop the sharpened back side from rappelling... Yikes!
TradWanker

Post by TradWanker »

All the guides in Yosemite use the Gi-Gi. Two seconds auto-lock independent of each other. The only drawback is it is very difiicult to lower one of the climbers. Simple, cheap and lightweight. :D :D
stix

Post by stix »

with the atc guide each second auto locks independently of each other and lowers semi easily
"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Thoreau