snakes in Muir Valley

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
marathonmedic

Post by marathonmedic »

Maybe we should help those form their own self-help group.
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.
weber

Re: snakes in Muir Valley

Post by weber »

kris wrote:My husband and I would really like to take our kids to Muir Valley to climb with us, however we have heard a lot of talk about snakes in that area. Is it really that bad or talked up? I would hate to have one of my kids bitten. We realize this is possiable pretty much anywhere, but because of the newness of Muir Valley are they pretty bad? Any advice would be appreciated.
Kris,

We don't think of snake encounters as "pretty bad". On the contrary, they can be fascinating, educational, and SAFE experiences for children. Snakes are one of nature's wonders.

Most of us who spend a lot of time in Muir agree that the most dreaded critter down there is a chigger. Be sure to use DEET repellant.

Snakes in Muir Valley are as much a part of nature as Ladyslipper orchids. And, in the eyes of many children, much more fascinating. A copperhead's irredescent pattern is stunningly beautiful to those with open minds. It's docile nature allows safe, close observation. It will NOT attack you.

Do not listen to local snake folklore -- unless you want the bejeebers scared out of you by mythical species such as the nonexistent, yet fearfully dreaded "Hoop Snake." For accurate info, go to this site instead:

http://www.kentuckysnakes.org/snake_det ... =posionous

On the average, we usually see one snake per weekend. About 10% of these are copperheads, the only poisonous snake you are likely to encounter in Eastern Kentucky. It's bite is non-fatal, and unlike the extremely rare rattlesnake bite, rarely leaves the victim with necrosis.

We can't speak for others' experiences, but our guess is that the species you will likely see down here are Eastern Garter Snake, Eastern Hognose, Midland Rat Snake, King Snake, and the magnificent Black Racer. J-Rock and Squeeze will attest that these babies are fast! (Always slithering AWAY - not toward you.)

Bring your camera when you visit. The Valley is rich in the wonders of nature. Take the advice of other posters on this thread about watching where you step and where you stick your hands, and you and your children will do just fine.

Finally, remember the words of Hellen Keller:

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.”

Rick and Liz Weber
Caretakers - Muir Valley
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. - Randy Pausch
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau
88keys

Post by 88keys »

Both Alex (in his childhood) & Jesse have been going to the Gorge & 'splorin since they were 2 years old or younger. They both enjoyed every minute of it. I'm pretty cautious about snakes, however, nobody in our family ever was bitten by one. Many times we would discover copperheads & rattlesnakes and be able to observe them. Both boys loved these encounters.

One time Alex & Dario found a bunch of snake eggs & Alex talked Johnny into bringing one of them home. I was fearful it was a copperhead that was going to hatch out of that thing, so I made him keep it in the garage. Unbelievably the egg hatched within the week and it turned out to be a green snake. They are beautiful. The people at the pet store said they didn't make good pets, so Alex released it in the gorge. He even made up a song about having to give it up. It was a sad day for him. I think he was about 8 years old at the time.

So, like Rick said if you don't take the risk you'll take away your children's opportunity to really "live".