Ouch, my ankle!

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
mike_anderson

Post by mike_anderson »

You can climb on that. Obviously bouldering isn't a good idea, but most routes at the red don't require you to really stand on your feet too hard, so you should be fine.

I did the exact same thing to my ankle last winter playing basketball, and I had a trip planned to Smith 3 weeks later (where you do have to stand on your feet). My ankle was a little week, but I was able to send. :mrgreen:
mike_anderson

Post by mike_anderson »

:shock: :x :P :oops: :twisted: :roll: :idea:
toad857

Post by toad857 »

injury-time aside, ankle braces/supports (up to and including big sturdy work boots) will weaken your ankles in the same way that caffeine will weaken your ability to focus. try flip flops. or better yet, go barefoot.

how does the old adage go? give an ankle a brace and you support it for a day... teach and ankle to fish and you will never eat poptarts again.

or something like that.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

I'd like to see sources on that, especially caffeine. An ankle brace adds compression in addition to stability.
KD

Post by KD »

therabands are great for strength and recovery from injuries. maybe an ace brace (soft) will give you support so you dont roll under when you fall.
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

Does your ankle twist outward or inward?
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Buy a wobble board and use it daily for the rest of your life. Wear an ankle brace while bouldering for the next 6-12 months depending on how well it recovers. Be warned, some ankles never fully recover, especially those that have been injured multiple times.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
gripster

Post by gripster »

Shamis, I have turned it inwards both times that I have severely injured it. And Saxman, trust me I know! The first time I noticed a real problem was after a bushwhack/hike i did a long time ago. We followed a survey trail along a steep hill side, which put a lot of stress on my ankle, after that day every time i moved my ankle it would pop!

About the ankle supports, my doctor did recommend to not wear any support too much. According to him, if you stabilize an ankle after a sprain, the lack of motion causes the swelling to get worse, and takes it a lot longer to go down. He recommended doing all of the movements like was suggested earlier. I do no want to wear an ankle brace or support my ankle all of the time, just when I am bouldering. I am hoping it will prevent my ankle from turning as easily as it has in the past if I take a fall. My main concern about most of the braces I have seen is that I will not be able to get my shoe over top of the things.
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

may just have to buy/find a bigger shoe or modify it. if you really want to do something, (even if it may not be a great idea) you'll find a way.

be careful on a slackline since they really exploit unstable ankle and the landings may not be the best.
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
tutugirl

Post by tutugirl »

This is what I am doing to break scar tissue from my ankle surgery....

http://www.danceshop.co.nz/catalog/images/photo10.jpg
Margarita
The difference between bravery and stupidity is the outcome.