RRG must-do hikes?

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

Wes wrote:Auxier ridge loop
Indian stairway to cloud splitter
rock bridge/swift camp creek
wall of denial
hoods branch to natural bridge, back via rock garden trail
Second rock bridge. I've always had little ones along, so I've only done the mile and something loop, but it's beautiful!
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
DuppyC

Post by DuppyC »

everyone missed the obvious: Swift Camp Creek Trail, back~n~forth.
"No one has to do something he doesn't want to do for the rest of his life. But then again, if that's what you end up doing, by all means convince yourself that you had to do it; you'll have lots of company." HST
L K Day

Post by L K Day »

For a Jurrasic Park kind of experience, at least in the botanical sense, hike down into Tight Hollow. It's the only stand of old growth timber left in the RRG. There are some gigantic Hemlocks and Tulip trees there, as well as the largest known Big Leaf Magnolia on record. Go on a rainy day when there's nothing else to do. It's a short hike to an amazing place.
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

Sheltowee is a great trail too. Not very challenging but absolutely beautiful!
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

have a bizz associate that wants a guide to RRG hikes, I drove him around the 715 loop and pointed out several trailheads, surely Gallstones or J&H has a trail guide- book, right? if not anybody noticed anything at Porter Chevron or similar? thanks
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

I think Land of the Arches is out of print and I hated that crap guide that came out a few years ago. I think the Sierra Club put it out.

Give him a climbing guide and tell him the approaches are the best hikes around.
There is no TEAM in I
powen01

Post by powen01 »

Crankmas wrote:have a bizz associate that wants a guide to RRG hikes, I drove him around the 715 loop and pointed out several trailheads, surely Gallstones or J&H has a trail guide- book, right? if not anybody noticed anything at Porter Chevron or similar? thanks
Where does he/she live? There are several guidebooks available in local stores in Louisville...
Snake

Post by Snake »

Jerrell Goodpaster has written 2 trail guides to RRG. Check here for more info, including where to purchase.

www.lostbranch.com/
Age is just how old you are...
kharvey

Post by kharvey »

Yes, all of the above. I have a guide by Jerrell Goodpaster. You can find it at all the locations you mentioned. It's pretty handy - I always bring it with me. It doesn't have everything trail in it, but it includes most of the popular trails. Good for someone new to the gorge.
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

Thank you - met Jerrell at Military one time, thanks for suggesting his work