Rocktoberfest- What did you think?

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

what about a heavy petting zoo??
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
512OW

Post by 512OW »

krampus wrote:I agree ems. I was not in the tent the whole time but I did enjoy listening to them at my campsite. I thought I should tell them that just because no one is in the tent does not mean that there talents are not being greatly appreciated.
Like I said, an Ipod would have worked just as well. I've been to and emceed many of these events, and the best setup I've seen is to play music thru the system till the dyno comp, do the comp, then maybe a movie or one opening act, and finishing with a badass band or DJ that people can dance to. Last year there were about 200 more people dancing...
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com
ems

Post by ems »

I heard there was a yoga class being offered but it wasn't part of the official schedule so I missed it. Offering other activities besides just climbing might make it more enticing to come to the event.
pkananen

Post by pkananen »

I agree with much of what was said.

First of all, it was too expensive. Yes, it's a fundraiser, but economies of scale say that 2x as many people at 1/2 the price is the way to go. Secondly, nobody really seemed to be into the bands, except after the movie. Maybe one band after the movie would have been good. Would've saved a lot of money that could go to the PMRP as well. An ipod would work well. Also, find a way to integrate the bouldering wall (which always seemed to have a crowd) closer to the stage, so the music watchers and the climbing watchers are the same crowd. The movie was awesome. The silent auction ended too quickly.
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

I think the price was small compared to what we get for it, a place to climb for free that we can call our own. it' just money.....
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
krampus

Post by krampus »

word driskel, its a cheep price to pay for the benefits of the red.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
pkananen

Post by pkananen »

krampus wrote:word driskel, its a cheep price to pay for the benefits of the red.
I agree that it is worth it. I paid, and am glad I did. I'm just saying that a lot of people didn't come because it was too expensive in their eyes. We disagree with their assessment, but it's still their decision to come or not.
kirker

Post by kirker »

pkananen wrote:I agree with much of what was said.

First of all, it was too expensive. Yes, it's a fundraiser, but economies of scale say that 2x as many people at 1/2 the price is the way to go. Secondly, nobody really seemed to be into the bands, except after the movie. Maybe one band after the movie would have been good. Would've saved a lot of money that could go to the PMRP as well. An ipod would work well. Also, find a way to integrate the bouldering wall (which always seemed to have a crowd) closer to the stage, so the music watchers and the climbing watchers are the same crowd. The movie was awesome. The silent auction ended too quickly.
I agree with you except on the cost. The amount asked I'm sure didn't keep anyone from coming, and any less wouldn't have attracked any more. So if we're focused on the cause for the whole thing then it was a perfect price.
I once had a mentor once tell me if the customers only complaint is the cost and they keep coming back your good.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Actually, most of those bands knew what we were trying to do and were cool with helping us out, working for WAY less than is customary for them. So, go see these kids if you get a chance and buy their merchandise. Being on the backend, it continues to amaze me how much everyone was throwing at the cause.

We are having a lot of conversations about cost, shuttles, etc. All in all more people is the main thing I'd like to see different next year (aside from the many little tweaks, of course). Regardless of whether we think it's worth it, lower entry fees will get us more people, which will likely lead to more funds.

Promotions, advertising, cost, and food are a few of the things we are paying special attention to.

Also, Paul continues to kick ass in the web department so please provide us with some formalized feedback.....

http://rrgcc.org/rocktoberfest/a-great-time-for-all/

Thanks everyone!
512OW

Post by 512OW »

kirker wrote:
pkananen wrote:I agree with much of what was said.

I agree with you except on the cost. The amount asked I'm sure didn't keep anyone from coming, and any less wouldn't have attracked any more. So if we're focused on the cause for the whole thing then it was a perfect price.
I once had a mentor once tell me if the customers only complaint is the cost and they keep coming back your good.
I heard at least 15 or 20 people say they weren't coming due to cost. I also heard several sponsors complain about cost, due to lack of attendance. The sponsors are there for the people... so it would be in our best interest to keep the sponsors happy.
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
-Tyler Durden

www.odubmusic.com