Trad gear on an airplane?

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Lucinda

Post by Lucinda »

Its funny they have a chain saw in the case at security as a prohibited item. I always think of some rampaging person in tight quarters with one of those. I checked all my gear except harness and shoes and had no problem this spring. They searched the checked bag with my rack in it both coming and going but nothing went missing
"real life bleeding fingers..."
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

meetVA wrote: i mean, who could resist yasi's smile?
They probably figured her parents were fleeing from some country and took pity on her. Ah, another Jamenism.
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

LOL! Nice, Meadows. :P Someone's gotta fill in for the guy while he's out in CA, right?

Like VA said, I usually wrap my trad gear in my sleeping bag to keep it from getting too jostled around within my pack when I check it. Those of you who have met my sleeping bag can understand why that's usually the only stuff that goes into my pack during a flight. Then I put my draws into one of my carry-ons and carry my rope in a rope bag as a second carry-on (or "personal item" as they call it). The first time I checked my rack, I was really nervous and looked into getting it insured, but even then decided against it. Maybe I'm just lazy, but the process sounded annoying, and I didn't really trust that they would have covered everything anyway. In short, I check my trad rack when flying. Have fun on your trip!

I recommend hanging your shoes on the outside of your carry-on pack to save space. Also, it makes for good conversation with the security people-- one of them was a climber when I was flying to Vegas, and it was like an instant connection that could've lasted a lifetime. Or the 5 seconds it took me to walk through the line. Whichever.

Man I need to get my voice back... it's pathetic that I just wrote that much about a simple question...
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
ynot

Post by ynot »

Im so dang jealous. A cute girl that cranks hard and can't talk. thats the perfect wife right there. :lol:
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
Rags

Post by Rags »

oh man. you can't say that, ynot! It is true that we hold beautiful women who crank hard at a higher level than mere mortals...
kneebar

Post by kneebar »

As you can see from all the posts it just becomes Russian roulette if you can carry your gear on. Just depends on the person at security. I used to always carry my gear as carry on pre 9/11. I didn't worry they would damage gear, you can pack it so there is no chance. The biggest worry for me was that it would get lost on the way to the destination even for hours or days. If it gets lost on the return trip between the money the airline give you and homeowners insurance you can recover your loss. (mine will anyway, might want to check yours).

This is a bit off topic, but an interesting story about home land security officers. My wife and I took a trip to Belize, we bought a nice original painting while we were there from a local artist. Had it taken off the frame and packed in a shipping tube for safe keeping. We foolishly packed it with our luggage. When we got home there was note in our luggage stating that our luggage was searched by home land security etc... On opening the suitcase that the painting was in we found it pulled half way out and then folded over the tube. Needles to say I was a bit pissed. Talk about an endless paperwork nightmere, we never got anything out of it. Fortunately we could save the painting without any damage. Live and learn I guess.
knooper

Post by knooper »

That sucks, kneebar. I've never had anything broken, but anytime I get one of those little flyers in my luggage, I always feel kind of violated. I know they're supposed to be protecting us and all, but somehow it still just doesn't feel right.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm going to check anything that someone getting paid minimum wage on a power trip at the security checkpoint might consider a weapon. If my luggage gets too heavy, I'll just wear all my extra clothes onto the plane. If you see someone in the airport this weekend all bundled up in the 90 degree weather with a pair of climbing shoes on their pack, that'll be me! :D
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

sweet! i always hang out at the airport and look at people, its like my favorite past time! actually there is a really good song by Ani DiFranco called "Arrivals Gate" all about doing that, kinda wierd but its one of my favorites.
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.
J-Rock

Post by J-Rock »

Pink shirts and now Ani DiFranco? Whoa, maybe you really are gay! :lol: Just kidding...
"Those iron spikes you use have shortened the life expectancy of the Totem Pole by 50,000 years."

--A Navaho elder
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

if anything i'd be a lesbian, but thats not really anatomically possible and i like my anatomy, nothings getting chopped!
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.