Wierd

Discussions full of RAGE!
Paul3eb

Post by Paul3eb »

marathonmedic wrote:Another possibility can be used in races that use the chip timing system. Check with the organizers first, but if you sat behind the start/finish line for about 10 minutes after the gun, you could run without so much traffic... You'd still have to fight through traffic, but it would be a lot more spread out by the time you got to it.
chicago is on the chip system.. unless you have your own, they provide you with one you have to return at the end. like the rest of the chip races, your race starts when you cross the finish. still, with tens of thousands of runners, it's pretty much impossible to avoid the traffic. actually, it seems starting sooner rather than later is better since the start lines are usually graded according to paces.. so the front is faster and the back is slower. but again, i don't have tons of experience..
and great loves will one day have to part -smashing pumpkins
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

paul is right with chicago....no matter where you start, chicago is a mess for at least two miles. it is sort of fun, but also weird, that after 26 miles you will probably still be finishing with a fairly large group of people....provides motivation, but takes away from your individual spotlight a bit.

I am going to the book store right now for that book SCIN....
Last edited by pigsteak on Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

pigsteak wrote:um, running 3:46 is not elite...running 3:08 is not elite..sorry folks, but running even 2:40 is not elite.... talk sub 2:10...NOW that's elite.

such as climbing 5.13, and even easy 5.14 is not considered elite these days...just sick strong.

"trying hard" is just an excuse for sucking.
Piggie, I'm curious-- what is the maximum percentage of athletes that can be performing at a certain level for their performance to be considered "elite?" What's the cutoff point? Speak, wise one.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

An incentive to run the Chicago marathon: beer served at the water stands. It sounds like a bad idea, but my friend said he tried and it actually very refreshing.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

which is weird, since beer dehydrates you...

my astute pupil yasmeen....I appreciate the opportunity to enlighten you with the great knowledge handed down to me from the three little pigs and Kermit.

Using the word "elite" is like a "professional hairdresser" or a "professional climber". People started attaching these college sounding words to their occupations because they were either ashamed of what they did or were trying to justify their existence. What is a "professional hairdresser"? (I'd hope they were all pro's.) Well, it is a person (non sexist here) who has went to "beauty school", defaulted on gov't loans to pay for it, has the latest over dyed or chopped, funky hair style, and works at some chain hair cutting franchise.

And a "professional climber"? Do I dare go there? It typically means someone who doesn't want to pay their way through life. I don't know many "professions" where free goo packs, poser mag shots and unlimited stanky ass shoes are considered status symbols and that you have arrived on the scene as a bona fide professional.

Professional used to mean there were licensing boards, exams, ethical standards, rules of conduct, and some sort of conformity through industry standards. Nowadays, I have not the slightest clue what professional means.

And so it is with "elite".

Class over :wink:
Last edited by pigsteak on Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Paul3eb

Post by Paul3eb »

Meadows wrote:An incentive to run the Chicago marathon: beer served at the water stands. It sounds like a bad idea, but my friend said he tried and it actually very refreshing.
i thought it was only at mile 23. my friend tried it and said it was the worst decision she ever made.

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!! IT'S W-E-I-R-D!!

sheesh ;)
and great loves will one day have to part -smashing pumpkins
alien2

Post by alien2 »

Try the Pikes Peak marathon. I heard it's the easiest one to start out on.
You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

~ Napoleon Dynamite
diggum

Post by diggum »

Paul3eb wrote:I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!! IT'S W-E-I-R-D!!
sheesh ;)
It's been bugging me too. :lol:
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

Eat me.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

A hybrid word of wired and weird, it refers to anything weird found through an electronic medium. Pronouced WHE-URD, it is something that you will not soon forget.