Wierd

Discussions full of RAGE!
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

I can't run anymore b/c of my left knee. Wooohoooo! I detest running but you can't argue with the results and it was the only time I saw one of my friends. Now, I'm swimming and biking. I agree with Everyone about the shoulders. I'm staying with Freestyle and breaststroke. No fly for me. That kinda stinks b/c it's fun. But whatcha gonna do? Climbing is more important to me and I need my rotator cuffs for that. So, I stick with free and breast, and kick board for training. If my shoulders begin to smart, I'll eliminate breast stroke too.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
busty

Post by busty »

I can stand to run, even with the dog pulling me along. Would much rather swim, but that's not the most convenient sport with finding a pool for laps etc. So basically, I just want to eat anything I want to eat and be thin.
I'm an experienced woman; I've been around... well, alright, I might not've been around, but I've been... nearby.
~ Mary Richards (Mary Tyler Moore Show)
tsparks

Post by tsparks »

Paul3eb wrote:i ran it once and have been to it to support two other times and i think the chicago marathon is incredibly fun.. but that's just me.
Well, after checking our schedules my wife and I decided that Chicago was the best fit for a fall marathon, so hopefully it's as good as you say.

Do the crowds slow you down? I have only run one other marathon at this point and I know that I spent the first 6 or 7 miles just running around people trying to settle into my pace. I'm not especially fast (3:49:30), but I definately think that I can take 15-20 minutes off of my time, if the crowds don't hinder me too much.
$DO||!$DO; try
try is not a command
diggum

Post by diggum »

Not terribly fast, huh? :roll:

Screw you all and your sub 10 minute miles!!!!

<Convincing myself> It's not the speed that matters, it's that you try your hardest.
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
tsparks

Post by tsparks »

diggum wrote:Not terribly fast, huh? :roll:

Screw you all and your sub 10 minute miles!!!!

<Convincing myself> It's not the speed that matters, it's that you try your hardest.
Eletists aside, I think that you are absolutely right, doing your best is what matters the most (and enjoying yourself). I view both my running and rock climbing that way. I figured out a long time ago that I wasn't going to be elite at either, but I could still try to improve each time I get out.
$DO||!$DO; try
try is not a command
Paul3eb

Post by Paul3eb »

tsparks wrote:Do the crowds slow you down? I have only run one other marathon at this point and I know that I spent the first 6 or 7 miles just running around people trying to settle into my pace. I'm not especially fast (3:49:30), but I definately think that I can take 15-20 minutes off of my time, if the crowds don't hinder me too much.
the crowd might slow you up a little through the first few miles.. but it depends on what you're willing to do for the most part. if you don't want to dodge and dart, you're going to be slowed down. if you mauever you're way through the field, you'll be able to keep pretty close to your pace time.

i'm glad to hear you'll be doing that one. i really love it, both the race and the town. if you're into books as much as i am, there's a used book sale that's pretty awesome near the u of chicago campus. if you're interested, i'll give you directions.
and great loves will one day have to part -smashing pumpkins
Paul3eb

Post by Paul3eb »

screw all you elitists with you're non-elitist elitistic elitism!

;)
and great loves will one day have to part -smashing pumpkins
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

um, running 3:46 is not elite...running 3:08 is not elite..sorry folks, but running even 2:40 is not elite.... talk sub 2:10...NOW that's elite.

such as climbing 5.13, and even easy 5.14 is not considered elite these days...just sick strong.

"trying hard" is just an excuse for sucking.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
tsparks

Post by tsparks »

pigsteak wrote:um, running 3:46 is not elite...running 3:08 is not elite..sorry folks, but running even 2:40 is not elite.... talk sub 2:10...NOW that's elite.
I'm not sure who you are refering too, but I don't think anyone ever defined what we thought elite was.

Perhaps we should classify ourselves as either competative or recreational, since none of us (I'm guessing) are elite.
pigsteak wrote:"trying hard" is just an excuse for sucking.
That's pretty harsh. For most people I think just finishing a marathon is a hell of an accomplishment, and definately doesn't suck.
$DO||!$DO; try
try is not a command
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

pigsteak wrote:"trying hard" is just an excuse for sucking.
Oh, Piggie, tsk tsk. You try so hard to get a rise out of anybody.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley