Tetons and general wyoming

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
hogi

Tetons and general wyoming

Post by hogi »

I'll be taking a month long trip to wyoming, hitting up devil's tower, THe tetons, and possibly the cirque of towers. any good route suggestions? I'm really wanting to climb grand teton, but don't know anything about it.
Any other great areas I shouldn't miss?
john e aragon

Post by john e aragon »

where do i begin to answer your question? well, first of all it may be a little late this year to head up the Grand unless you are looking for lots of ice and snow. Second if you go be ready to test your route finding skills. none of the apline routes i have done have been "easy" to stay on route. Devils tower is great, but it can be like disney land if don't plan on climbing 10+ (the rangers there were also like nazis). if you go to the cirque be ready for a 10+ mile approach. that being said i would still go if i were you!
because i can
deleted username

Post by deleted username »

Ummm, I'd think you'll encounter cold, snow, and ice if you don't leave soon. I'd even imagine you'll encounter cold and snow if you do leave now. If that's your thing and you're ready for it, then I'd highly recommend Pingora in the cirque, If i'd climbed anything else while there, I'm sure i'd recommend that too. I think Sinks has year round climbing if you get your fill of cold mountaineering.
:: I may be weak, but I have bad technique!! ::
hogi

Post by hogi »

Sorry, I should clarify- I'll be going next june.
I'll still be up for mountaineering though.
Legion

Post by Legion »

Get a copy of the guidebook; A Climber's Guide to the Teton Range published by The Mountaineers. It is much more than a map to the routes. It gives alot of information about the area and it's history. Go from there.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I bet you could still encouter a good amount of snow in June, especailly if there was a lot of snow late in the spring.
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.
hogi

Post by hogi »

When would be the best time for rock routes in the tetons?
Posthole

Post by Posthole »

Hey Pete,

When we there in July the rock routes seemed to be in fine form. It would be a little late in the seaon for snow climbs, but rock/alpine stuff would be fine.

Bob
Legion

Post by Legion »

early august
john e aragon

Post by john e aragon »

go in early aug late july, do exxum ridge on the grand, then guides wall on storm point, after that head down to jackson hole for some r&r. then either head to the snowy's or devils tower. after a couple more days of rest head back to estes park that should hold you for a summer! expect some snow and ice year round above 10,000 feet.
because i can