Looking for a GriGri

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
young'n climber

Looking for a GriGri

Post by young'n climber »

I lost mine at the gym almost a year and a half ago, and me and my dad are going out west this summer and i still can't really trust him on an atc(only cause hes a relatively new climber). So are any of you people looking to seel a grigri under maybe 60 or 50 bones?

thanks
Alan Evil is a whiney fucking bitch.
_____

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.
krazykid

Post by krazykid »

I bought my gri gri a year or so ago for $56 at the Self propelled outdoorsman shop. Contact them and find out if they still run the same deal. www.self-propelled.com
good luck, have fun and be safe.
KD

Post by KD »

krazykid - that's a cool site. Didn't know about them - thanks.
quicksilver

Gri-Gri

Post by quicksilver »

Just a thought.
Lots of accidents happen with Gri-Gris when the climber is being lowered off the route. Rap off routes when possible if you do not trust the belayers knowledge. I feel that a Gri-Gri is more dangerous than an ATC when used by an inexperienced climber. I know there is a lot of different opinions on this. I can tell you that most of the gym accidents I know of happened when a Gri-Gri was in use. I would take the time to get my belayer up to speed on any and all devices. Safety lies in practice and experience and not necessarily the type of device being used. Good Luck and have a great trip.
"If you smile at me I will understand
Because that is something everybody, everywhere does in the same language"
Crosby,Stills and Nash - Wooden Ships
ynot

Post by ynot »

You coming this weekend Eathan? I can sell you mine.It never gets used.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
young'n climber

Post by young'n climber »

I'll be down for mem. day weekend all, but Sunshine has hooked me up via PM with a deal. Thanks to all though
Alan Evil is a whiney fucking bitch.
_____

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.
marathonmedic

Post by marathonmedic »

ynot wrote:You coming this weekend Eathan? I can sell you mine.It never gets used.
Damnit. I wish I would have known. There isn't a place anywhere down there to buy a Gri-Gri. I tried. Miguel's, nope. Matt's, nope. Marks, nope. I really wanted to buy one.
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.
KD

Post by KD »

the cinch thing by trango doesn't seem to handle as smooth as the gri gri as far as i'm concerned. i'm glad they made it though because it's good for petzyl to have competetion in that market - creates innovation.

i almost always rap off routes now - i used to lower all the time because i thought that was what you were supposed to do but rapping is a lot faster, easier, and safer most of the time.
Alan Evil

Re: Gri-Gri

Post by Alan Evil »

quicksilver wrote:Just a thought.
I can tell you that most of the gym accidents I know of happened when a Gri-Gri was in use.
Have you ever thought that it might be worse if they were using an ATC since gymn accidents are more likely to be caused by stupidity than by the gear? Actually, would you please give some specifics about how gri-gris caused any accidents? I just don't believe the gri-gri is to blame.

Plus, what lowering accidents are you talking about? How could there be an accident lowering with a gri-gri unless it's threaded backwards and the belayer has passed out with her hands off the rope?

A reason I can see for using an ATC on lead is it's easier to quickly feed out rope for a clip, though with practice there is little difference. I'd still rather have a new climber feeding rope through a self-locking device rather than an ATC.

Something I've noticed around here is a general disdain for new climbers. Did you start climbing knowing how everything worked and what to use when? How to brake the rope through an ATC or even what an ATC was? Did anyone? Most climbers I've met are glad to teach people less experienced than they and know how to climb safely with newbs. For someone on their first times out, a gri-gri offers that little bit of back-up in the event you come off or they start to lower too quickly. The thing of it is, if you're out with a beginner you're going to start on some extremely easy routes, right? Give them a chance to learn how things work, won't make much of a difference if the rope is fed to you slowly, and most importantly, if the belayer loses control lowering you the thing will lock up. Teach them about an ATC on some future day. As long as the gri-gri is threaded properly it's idiot proof.
[size=75]You are as bad as Alan, and even he hits the mark sometimes. -charlie

"Not all conservatives are stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill[/size]
ynot

Post by ynot »

No its not idiot proof.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney