snakes in Muir Valley

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
kris

snakes in Muir Valley

Post by kris »

My husband and I would really like to take our kids to Muir Valley to climb with us, however we have heard a lot of talk about snakes in that area. Is it really that bad or talked up? I would hate to have one of my kids bitten. We realize this is possiable pretty much anywhere, but because of the newness of Muir Valley are they pretty bad? Any advice would be appreciated.
KD

Post by KD »

there's snakes all over the gorge around you at any time. stay on trails - watch where you step - they'll leave you alone. It's not the ones you see that cause the bites - it's the ones ya don't and step on.
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

It's not that bad, Kris. The one area you want to avoid would be the snake pit on the trail to the Indy Wall from the Sanctuary but we redirected the trail months ago, so you're really not walking by that copperhead den anymore. Most of the other snakes we've seen in Muir are harmless garter snakes. I have yet to see a snake this year in Muir and I'm there almost every weekend (although it has not warmed up enough lately for them to be everywhere). Bottom line is, as long as you stay in established trails/areas, the likelihood of there being snakes is not as high as it used to be.

If you are bringing your kids though, make sure everyone has protective head gear!
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Best bet is wherever you take the kids make sure you are in an open area where you can see where the kids are playing at all times and make sure they stay out of the undergrowth and don't stick their hands in dark cool places.
There is no TEAM in I
dhoyne

Post by dhoyne »

Of course you could always get eaten by the bear. :twisted: :mrgreen:
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Which is much less painful and far more unique in this neck of the woods.
There is no TEAM in I
Zspider

Re: snakes in Muir Valley

Post by Zspider »

kris wrote:My husband and I would really like to take our kids to Muir Valley to climb with us, however we have heard a lot of talk about snakes in that area. Is it really that bad or talked up? I would hate to have one of my kids bitten. We realize this is possiable pretty much anywhere, but because of the newness of Muir Valley are they pretty bad? Any advice would be appreciated.
There are a lot of snakes in the gorge. Whether you take your children there depends a lot on their age. There are dangers everywhere. If the children are old enough to be aware of AND continuously mindful of the dangers, take em. If they get bit, that's life. In spite of caution, it's always a possibility. But no child should be denied the wonder of the woods.

Be aware that snakes are just one of the many dangers. Running and poking an eye with a rhodo bush is a possibility. Falling off a cliff is a possibility. Getting squashed by a falling climber is a possibility. Getting bitten by an unleashed (or leashed) dog is a possibility. Tripping and falling is a possibility. Wandering off and getting lost is a possibility. You need to measure your child's maturity against these dangers and then decide if the risk is justified.

Remember this: If you are hiking with your children, you can devote a significant amount of attention to them. If you are belaying or climbing, the amount of attention you are paying them is going to be considerably less.

My personal advice is that if you want your children to enjoy the woods, and they are not going to be climbing themselves, take them hiking and not on a trip where you are going to climb. If you are climbing and they are just wandering around, there is a good chance they are gonna do something stupid and get hurt.

ZSpider
dingo

Post by dingo »

I remember growing that my friends and I would tromp all over the woods behind our houses. We never got bit by a snake and never saw one either probably becasue we were too loud running around and playing that we scared them all off. Looking back I know they had to be close by because we would make forts in bushes and fallen oak trees. If you have more than one kid, they will make noise and scare away most of the snakes.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthen's me.
marathonmedic

Post by marathonmedic »

I would think that most self-respecting snakes would take care to avoid tromping kids.
Ticking is gym climbing outdoors.
ReachHigh

Post by ReachHigh »

marathonmedic wrote:I would think that most self-respecting snakes would take care to avoid tromping kids.

You still have to worry about the self-degrading passive-aggressive ones. :shock:
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."