Summer climbing

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
ABACUS

Summer climbing

Post by ABACUS »

I know the entire SE generally sucks to climb in during the Summer but how bad is it in the shade at the RRG during the summer? is camping worse than climbing?
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

I thought there was a reason for the name Shady Grove.

Last summer, I camped quite a bit near the southern region and a couple times at Miguels. I slept inside my bag because it was cool enough.
longlegsrule

Post by longlegsrule »

lots of biting flies
From Kentucky ;o)
diggum

Post by diggum »

100% Deet is supposed to take care of biting flies.
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

I think the bugs keep me away more than the heat.
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
diggum

Post by diggum »

So where's a good place to go if it's too damn hot & buggy here?
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
lordjim_2001

Post by lordjim_2001 »

diggum wrote:So where's a good place to go if it's too damn hot & buggy here?
The gym?
Screw you guys. I'm going bowling.
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

Just in case you are already in the Great Wall/Hideout area in Muir, the corridor where Special K and Beware the Bear are at is about 10-15 deg cooler than the rest of the cliff. There are also numerous waterfalls that can cool you down.

I'm with Artsay, the bugs bug me more than the heat. I say go do some climbing in Canada. :mrgreen:
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Heat is bad, humidity is worse, bugs suck (literally), snakes scare lots of foreigners, and the undergrowth has murderous intentions towards you (esp the rhodo).

And while you would think that it being a deciduous forest that there would be lots of cool shade. You'd be wrong.

Though I will have to admit, Kentucky is slightly farther north than TAG and NC and is therefore a degree or two cooler throughout the summer.

You're best off mountain biking in the Red and skipping the climbing in the summer. But that's just my opinion.
There is no TEAM in I
lordjim_2001

Post by lordjim_2001 »

squeezindlemmon wrote:I say go do some climbing in Canada. :mrgreen:
Sounds good to me. Lets all take a month off in June and invade Squamish!
Screw you guys. I'm going bowling.