Rappeling at the Gorge

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
GWG

Rappeling at the Gorge

Post by GWG »

I am interested in doing some long rappels with my brothers down at the Gorge. I've been to Indian Stairway but don't know if rappeling is still allowed.

Any suggestions? Longer hikes in are not an issue. Looking for something that would have access to the top and wouldn't require technical climbing to gain access back to the top.

If you know of someplace but would like to keep it quiet, please feel free to PM me and your secret will be safe with me. :wink:

Thanks,

Geoff

Post by Guest »

what, do you have a death wish? Didn't you read on this very website about how dangerous rappelling is?? Don't do it, Geoff - LOWER!! :P
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

I have seen lots of rap artists hanging out at the area near Foxfire, find the directions to this route and it will become obvious. It has a beautiful hike in also. The crag has a reasonable access to the top and vice versa, be careful.
ynot

Post by ynot »

The rappers call it Eagles nest. The climbers call it something else.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
Wicked Tribe

Post by Wicked Tribe »

I call it Eagle's Nest. I don't rappel unless forced either.
Do Not Spray Next 300 Feet
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

Crankmas wrote:I have seen lots of rap artists hanging out at the area near Foxfire, find the directions to this route and it will become obvious. It has a beautiful hike in also. The crag has a reasonable access to the top and vice versa, be careful.
Are you talking about the hike to the top or bottom of Foxfire? I remember passing a bunch of hungover campers and their trash from the party the night before.
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

I saw a river and a forest.
KD

Post by KD »

i though the fs put a ban on rappelling a couple of yeras back - i don't know if they repealed it or not - i think it's still in effect. Why not just take them climbing?
CincySam

Post by CincySam »

Meadows wrote:
Are you talking about the hike to the top or bottom of Foxfire? I remember passing a bunch of hungover campers and their trash from the party the night before.
Perhaps we should encourage the new trend of "Free Solo Rappelling"

That should take care of them.