tetons

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
micahlynn25

tetons

Post by micahlynn25 »

this summer i am taking a road to wyoming to climb the tetons, ill be leaving around june 12, if anyones interested in going get back to me
micah
Wes

Post by Wes »

Still could be plenty of snow and ice on the higher peaks in June.

Wes
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
micahlynn25

tetons

Post by micahlynn25 »

hey wes, if you got any tips/advice anything on the climb, that would be great, we are attempting the owen/spaulding route
micah
haas

Post by haas »

my fiancee is from Jackson Hole and we've done a bunch in the Tetons, so take this for what it's worth. There's tons of snow up there that is constantly waiting to slab avalanche thanks to the warm sun, yet cooler temps. The tetons aren't real good until later on in summer. I wouldn't recommend climbing up there. With that said, I have, so I guess just make sure you talk to the climbing ranger about conditions
micahlynn25

tetons

Post by micahlynn25 »

thanks haas, so your saying late summer would be the best for the tetons. the thing is though ive got the last 3 weeks of june off and im gonna go out west, i want something big and technical but without the ice and snow,
micah
haas

Post by haas »

late summer would definitly be best for the tetons. Big and Technical, well alpine then that's the tetons or the wind river range (also in Wyoming) but both will have snow, especially the winds. Maybe try the casual route on the diamond, it's 5.10 at 13,000.
haas

Post by haas »

that's Long's Peak in CO if you aren't familiar with the diamond
Wes

Post by Wes »

Yep, you may or may not get a good shot at anything tall in the Tetons in June. But, there are several other longer routes that *should* be in clear of snow. So, you can go there, hope for good weather on the grand, and just do 3-6 pitch routes if the conditions don't workout up high.

Diamand might be ok, but could still have snow to cross to get to the route or to get back down. And the routes are a bit harder then the owen-spalding.

Same with the winds - you might have good conditions on some of the lower peaks, but maybe not the taller stuff.

Late summer is usually better for most alpine rock routes in CO or WY. You could look into some stuff in the seirra's as well. Whitney or something like that.

There are places were you can get good multi-pitch routes in that time or year, but they aren't really alpine style routes. Eldo, Vedauwoo, RMNP, Devils tower, black hills, the valley, etc.

You could also check into Squamish as well.

Wes
Last edited by Wes on Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
micahlynn25

tetons

Post by micahlynn25 »

yea the squamish is really where id like to go, but thats a little far for me to drive right now. what about mount athabasca and adromeda outside of alberta, what do you think the conditions and difficulty of those would be during june.
micah
bigwhipper

Post by bigwhipper »

Being from California I will state my bias right up front. The Sierras are the place to go if you want alpine in early/mid summer. Whitney portal area opens you to lots of options, the Palisades are amazing, etc. too many cool routes to mention. There is a catch this year...Cali is having a near record snowfall this year so trailheads still frozen could be a problem. The good news is that if the high country is closed there is Yosemite Valley where I think you'll find plenty of "long and technical". Have fun!