Climbing Rope Floor Mat

Movies, music, food, blood, dogs, Horatio.....
GWG

Climbing Rope Floor Mat

Post by GWG »

My wife wants to use one of my old ropes to weave a mat. Does anyone have the directions to do so?

Thx
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

Jared and I have been planning to do the same to our old ropes for years now.... we never get around to it.

We were hoping to use the same pattern as the one being sold from mgear: http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/prod ... /Clearance

Good luck!
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley
charlie

Post by charlie »

Yep. Not so much directions as know how. I taught myself using an encyclopaedia of knots. Maybe ifn you wanna give me your extra ropes and some alcohol bribes I can do it, or show you how.

Here's a pretty crappy pic I just took of my welcome mat.......

ynot

Post by ynot »

I watched a lady make one on tv with something else but basicly she just coiled it and sewed along the coil with plastic thread.Something heavy duty. Would make a nice rug for sure.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

I want one too...Looks complicated and time consuming...
If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains...You're lucky enough...
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

I made the one from mgear a few weeks ago - I didn't buy the kit though, just printed the picture out and played with the rope til I got it right. My only question is what are you meant to do with the tails? Mine are still dangling loose and I'm trying to figure out the best way to tack them down - unfortunately, I started and ended in the middle of the mat, so I can't really do what Charlie did.
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

That is one neat rug, Charlie! Very impressive.

We made braided rag rugs when I was a girl. When I was very domestic, my homemaker's club made them as well. They looked more like the ones you get commercially, more oval than Charlie's. Contact your county's extension office and ask to speak to the person over the homemakers. I'll bet she or he would be able to hook you up with someone or some classes any way.

Canuck, tuck the ends under and whip stitch together.
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS

Post by Guest »

Man, that looks cool. Charlie, if I ply you with booze will you do (one for) me?
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Thanks, Dipsi. That was one of the ideas I had, but I never could make up my mind.
Charlie, how much rope did you use? I only used about 35m on mine.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Sandy wrote:Man, that looks cool. Charlie, if I ply you with booze will you do (one for) me?
You know I will.

I haven't tried the hitches like the Mountain Gear mat, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I studied that pattern quite a bit in my book but decided the mat with bights was cooler. Canuck, do what Dipsi said, fishermans underneath and trim the cords. Trick is just making it lie flat.

For the 5 x 7 bight mat pictured I used about 25 meters, followed through once. I've made another that was tripled and it took about 30 meters or so.